Chapter Two

“So you and Kinders are like, together?” I asked Pippa as we wandered back to the waiting room.

“We’re married, two years now but we’ve spent a year apart because of my deployment. I saw him at Bastion but I got sent to Kandahar and he went with you guys to Kabul.” She sighed brushing the ring that hung around her neck against her lips.”

“I didn’t even know he had a wife!”

“We both decided not to talk about it too much because it’s hard you know, being away from someone you love for so long! It’s the first time we’ve been deployed separately but both been in Afghan if you know what I mean.”

“How’d you swing that?”

“Well the first deployment was just after Sam was born and I was 18, Charles was 20 and we went out and that’s when I met him, he was 19 and I just completely fell in love with him but I didn’t tell him and then we went out on this mission on the last day of the tour and there was contact and he turned to me and said “If I die, I want you to know that I love you, ever since I met you.” And I was so happy that I didn’t know what to say. We got back to Bastion and Charles took me to oneside and was like, “don’t give into him, he’s just trying to get into your pants, trust me he doesn’t love you” and then when and gave him the verbal beating of his life and I overheard “If you lay one fucking finger on my fucking sister, I’ll flatten you. If you break her heart…well, I’m a trained killer, I think that’s all I need to say.” So Liam was really nervous all the way home and I was giving him the death glare because I believed Charles and then on decompression he took me on a really romantic date and said he didn’t care if I didn’t want to be with him in a physical way, he would accept just being my friend but I was like I think we should just see where it goes. I had about a year of normality where we seriosuly dated and then I went off to Sandhurst for a year with Charles. When I came back he’d been on tour and was really up himself like all the lads are after they go on tour. So I went on tour for a year and came back and he was really apologetic and said he’d never stopped worrying about me and how he couldn’t live like that anymore and we got back together. We went away on three of the three month training camps and it’s all pretty lax there so that was almost a year of being together then we were offered a year-long tour so we took it and because we weren’t actually married or anything we ended up in the same platoon with Charles and for the first few weeks it was good but then everything went a bit shit.”

“Smurf said something about Geraint.”

“Yeah. Geraint was at the heart of it, really. He was obsessed with me, like completely, he was so flirty and eventually the jealousy set in and there would be these blazing rows between the two of them.”

“Kinders and Geraint?”