Chapter Twenty-Six

When you read what we all did next, you might think that the fall to our doom was slow. However, trust me when I say that the things that we said and did were faster than the fastest animals alive.

Margaret and I screamed bloody murder as the bus went off the cliff. Our backs pressed themselves against the seat, and our legs flew into the air.

I could feel my heart pounding, like that it had the desire to leap out of my chest, and I did not blame it.

A wave of fear washed over me, and I was so afraid that I was going to die that I did not realize that the rope that tied my hands together was loosened!

"I am not a traitor!" Sarah shouted at the top of her lungs. "I am not hideous! And I am good enough!" She slammed her foot on the gas pedal.

Mrs. M. shrieked as she and her husband toppled to the bus and slid down to the other end of the vehicle.

Mrs. M. reached the back door of the bus, but halfway down there, Dr. O'Connor grasped the cushion of one of the seats. His glasses became crooked, and I did not have to guess that he was furious at his granddaughter.

"Sarah!" he said her name. "What the heck do you think that you are doing?!"

"Making sure that you and your ugly wife do not murder Margie and her friend!"

"We are not friends!" Margaret and I said in unison.

"Watch your mouth, missy!" Mrs. M. warned her. "The only ones ugly around here are you, Margie, and Margaret."

Margaret shifted her body so that she got a good view of the monstrous woman. "You take that back. I am not ugly! I agree that Margie is ugly, but—"

Before she could say more, I slapped her face.

"If I were ugly, then why does Stanley like me?!"

I guessed that my face was now red because I was fuming with rage.

Margaret quickly shifted back and gazed at me as if she were gazing past me and into my poor soul. She rubbed the area where I had slapped her.

"You should not have done that!" Margaret protested. "Stanley is a sucker for loving you! You are nothing but a mistake! You hear me?!"

"Margie! Margaret!" Sarah called out to us. "We are getting close to the ground, so you need to escape this minute!"

I stood up - and realized that my hands were untied.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed the piece of rope in the seat.

"How...?"

"I loosened the rope on you while I was helping you up," Sarah confirmed. "Now go! The crash should have happened by now!"

I placed my hands under the window that I was next to. "The only reason that this sudden fall is long is because our writer wants me and Margaret to escape," I added.

I tried lifting up the window, but it would not budge. It felt like that it was stuck!

I wonder if somebody had used superglue.

"My gosh, Margie!" I heard Margaret say. "You are such a weakling!" She showed me her hands that were still tied up. "Untie me. I will show you how it is done."

I gave her a blank expression. Then I punched my fist hard at the window, causing the glass to shatter, grabbed Margaret, and threw her out the broken window.

Let me say that I loved her reaction to what I did.

I put my palms on the sides of the window and was about to go, but then I remembered Sarah.

"What about you, Sarah?!"

"Do not worry about me! But no matter what happens to me, promise me that you and Scarlett will always remember me as a good person."

I was sad at this. Sarah did not deserve to die. But I just kept that to myself and faked a smile. "I promise, Sarah."

I jumped out and flew into the air. I stopped "flying" and landed on solid ground. I stayed down on the grass to recollect my thoughts.

"I am safe. I am safe!"

As I said that, there was a deafening noise.

I gulped as I slowly got up and brushed dirt and grass off my shirt and pants.

"That must have been the bus crashing," I said to myself. "I have to see if Sarah is alright."

Without giving it another thought, I rushed to where I heard the disturbing noise and soon spotted the bus.

The bus that was now bent and in a wreck.

"Sarah? Sarah!"

Careful to not cut or trap myself, I climbed onto the wreckage and peered in through each and every window. Most of them were shattered. The others had cracks in them.

My eyes darted all around. I was desperate to find my friend.

"Sarah! If you hear me, say something! Or groan!"

That was when my wish was answered. I heard a low groan. And yes, it was coming from inside the bus.

I cupped my hands around my mouth. "Sarah! It is me! Margie! I am here to help you!"

I listen intently for any more human sounds.

There was a cough. Then moaning. Then two more coughs.

"Help...I am trapped..."

I recognized that voice. It was Sarah's!

I spotted someone moving inside the bus, and it was indeed Sarah.

She was lying on her side, and her chest was heaving up and down. Her hair was in tangles, and her clothes were ripped and had dust on them.

"Help me...I am stuck...and it hurts..."

"Where are you stuck?" I asked her as I hopped into the vehicle that would be used no more.

I immediately noticed a big puddle of blood.

"My leg...it...it got caught in where the brake and the gas pedal are...and...and I can feel it bleeding. My leg...it is bleeding!"