Chapter 4

Sookie didn't have to tell Brooke that Jason was in jail

Sookie didn't have to tell Brooke that Jason was in jail. She had heard it as soon as Sookie had. Jason had called from the police station to let her know. It put her in a rage. Jason had confessed to crimes he hadn't committed because of guilt and grief. Because his girlfriend who was a V addict had died and he had no better explanation for it. "What an idiot," Sookie had said, right before she left the house. She drove to the police station where René, Arlene's future husband, was already visiting Jason. She told her brother not to worry, that she was really close to finding out who the real killer was, but he didn't want to believe it. In his mind, it was set, he was the killer. He had killed them all, somehow, even if he didn't remember it. All but Adele. He knew he hadn't done it, he knew he couldn't have.

Brooklynne didn't want to stay inside, she wanted to be out there, looking for Drew Marshall with Sookie. But even Sookie couldn't do that. She had to work. She'd go out there on her own but the last time she did that, she had needed Eric to bring her back home.

Being alone in the house made her feel uneasy. That unfamiliar feeling helped her focus. It was like she was in someone else's house, a house she didn't know, and the unknown made her feel anxious. Her routine had crumbled when Adele died. No more exercises, no more games to help her control her abilities. But she had no one to talk to now. Or someone to talk to her. She felt lonely, and somehow that helped her focus. Because, for the first time in a really long time, she was bored.

Maybe it was because there was no one around, no one to listen to, no one to hear, but she felt different from her usual self. She could hear herself think, and maybe that was why it was easier to focus. She thought about Adele, she thought about Jason, she thought about Eric. But the one thing she wished she would stop thinking about, dreaming about, was blood. She saw blood every time she closed her eyes. Her grandmother's blood all over the kitchen floor. Longshadow's blood all over Sookie. How the vampire had exploded into a disgusting pool of red liquid. It made her sick.

She decided to keep herself busy. To try and see how long she could stay focus and do normal things without accidentally mentally slipping into another world. She remembered Sookie saying they'd have to wrap up their grandmother's things at some point, and Brooklynne thought she'd make herself useful by starting to clean Adele's bedroom. The boxes were already there and marked 'to keep' and 'goodwill'. She started going through her grandmother's jewelry, giving a look at the old wooden clock on the wall wondering how long it'll take her to get distracted. But she never did. She worked for two hours in silence and was only interrupted by the ringtone of her phone. She saw a text message from Sookie, letting her know that her car broke down and that René was driving her home.

Brooklynne had never met René, but she had heard of him. He was a colleague but also a good friend of Jason's. He had probably been at Adele's funeral, but she had left too early to get the chance to meet him.

She was happy to have some company. She wanted to try and see if she could stay out of their heads. Or, at least, if she could stop their thoughts from invading hers.