Prologue

Running was all I remember doing.

I can't remember who I am or was, I just remember finding myself running for the shouts and cries from the people approaching me. Arrows would strike the ground next to me as I ran, adrenalin and the will to survive kept me going.

I carried my wolfish self up the steep slope of a mountain and carried on until I was close to the top. I looked out to the unknown landscape surrounding me, snow graced the ground as far as the eye could see. it simply took my breath away seeing its barely disturbed beauty, my sensitive ears picked up the disappointed grunts of the people that were after me.

I sat there until the sky turned amber as the sun disappeared over the horizon. I looked around feeling a deep sense of loss. I had nowhere, I didn't even know my own name anymore. I jumped up and carried on up to the top of the mountain until I could peer over and look at the other side of it.

I noticed a thick pine forest not far away that surrounded a large lake. I would make my way there and see where my curiosity would take me next. The journey down the steep slope was definitely easier than it was going up, this time I wasn't being chased by people either.

I broke into a trot as I reached the pine forest, I felt relaxed once I was under the green needles of the tall trees. I found a small den not far from the lake, it fit me in perfectly as if it was made for me. It had the slightest scent of wolves along the damp earth lining but they were long gone.

I curled up nuzzling my face into the softness of my tail and hoping that the stinging sensation in my shoulder would go away.