part two / chapter nineteen.

The Cullens had no qualms about returning to Forks and began to pack up their temporary home the minute that Edward called them. He thought it would only take them a day or two to get back to Forks, and yet I was still buzzing with excitement and felt that I was counting down the minutes until I could see them all again. I knew that I had missed them all, both as a family unit and as individuals, but I didn't think I had allowed myself to really consider how much. 

I was finally getting my big family back. It was going to be just like it had been before they had left town. Carlisle had even managed to get his old job back, although, according to Charlie, they had been desperate to offer the position back to Carlisle as they had not yet been able to fill it.

Knowing that the Cullens were on their way home, and that Victoria was running in the opposite direction, made me feel a little more relaxed about letting Edward out of my sight, especially since Jake was still crashing on their couch instead of on Charlie's. As a result, I decided to spend a little extra time with my parents, soaking up as much of their company as I could before our indefinite separation came around in September.

One morning, when I arrived back from hunting, I found my mother awake early, sitting on the couch with a book and a cup of coffee, enjoying the quiet of the morning hours. I went and sat beside her and we chatted for a few minutes before I summoned the courage to ask her what had been playing on my mind. "Mom... Are you and Charlie..." I struggled, unsure of the best way to work my question.

"What, honey?" She pressed me patiently, putting her paperback to one side and giving me her full attention.

"Like..." I sighed, trying to ignore how juvenile my question sounded. "Getting back together or something?"

"Oh..." She blinked at me, completely taken aback. Her face crumpled and she shook her head, clearly thinking she'd disappoint me with her answer. "No Bella, I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry," I rushed, unsure of what emotion was coursing through me. Was I disappointed or relieved? What exactly had I been expecting to get out of this discussion? "I just want you to be happy-..."

"I am happy. Really happy." Renee promised, grinning at me. "I adore Phil and he adores me. There's no turning back!"

"Okay... Good!"

"But it has been really nice getting to know your dad again. He's different now." She shrugged. "I feel like we can be friends in a way we never really were after we got together. Once upon a time I might have called him my best friend, but of course he was replaced long before I fell out of love with him-..."

I furrowed my brow, trying to remember any of my mother's friends from when I was human. "By who?"

"By you, of course!" She laughed and I grinned at her. "And best friends stay best friends no matter how far apart they are, right?" She put her hand on my hair and stroked it gently. I realised now the kind of conversation we were having.

This was a goodbye.

"You're leaving Forks..."

Renee nodded and put her hand to my icy cheek. "It's time. The baseball season's been over for a while and I really miss Phil... And the sun!" She tipped her head back and groaned with longing at the offer of a little vitamin D. She looked back at me smiled sadly, moving her hand to squeeze mine. "As much as I want to be near you, Forks really isn't where I belong. But you know I'll always be only a phone call away if you need me."

"I know." I sniffed.

"I mean it Bella, I won't let you down this time." She tightened her grip. "Or ever again."