Chapter 1 - The Awoken

D.T. spent his days cutting into cadavers and fulfilling two duties.  One to the light and one to the shadows.   The light was how all preters discussed humanity.  Always stoking the fires to keep those of the shadow at bay.  For them he helped solve murders and catch humanities evil.  As for his role to the shadows, he would provide certain items that would otherwise be noticed if they had been taken without his position to cover his tracks.

The two worlds did exist together, but it was a delicate line to keep them apart.  There were no laws or governing councils preventing this, just a thin veil between sanity and insanity.  However, this story has sidetracked enough.  
Entering his office at the coroner's building he booted up the computer, and went to get his day started.

  *   *   *   *   *

"Alright, first up is Mr. Andrew Feram," he spoke into his recorder that was ever present for all his personal dictation.  "Mr. Feram was a 34 year old, male of Iranian descent.  Suffered major trauma to the left pectoral and lower abdomen in what appear to be a simultaneous thrust from a 2 pronged pointed weapon.  Beginning with standard y incision, will proceed as if suspect was himself human."
He stopped and considered what he just said, and decided that statement accurate.  Looked at the recorder and jotted the time of the comment down, then went on with the cuts.
Once the incisions where made and the ribs had been separated the internal organs revealed what his instincts had already perceived.  "The internal organs are all intact except for a single slice to the superior vana cava of the heart.  This attack appears to have been caused by a sanguine who enjoys taking the blood straight from the heart.  The abdominal puncture served no other purpose than to incapacitate the victim."
That part done, he began his shadow autopsy, which is what he referred to it when he had to take extra caution and notes.  He went through first his personal memo of the green and purple potions.
Each concoction required parts from humans that where minor yet crucial.  He rarely had to take anything that even a thorough examination would notice, but the purple potion did require a sliver of heart muscle and a slice of skin where a wedding ring had rested.  With the damage to this ones heart it was easy to gather the component.
Sadly this gentleman did not possess the aforementioned wedding band.  He knew that just taking from the ring finger wouldn't work because the wedding band made an emotional connection that all forms of magic needed to be viable.
The rest of his day was business as usual.   Five natural deaths,  two murders, and a handful of shadow deaths that where easily hidden.