Bliss

Malachai was the cold guy every person knew, even Amelie knows that. He wanted people to call him Kai because he didn't want his real name to roll off some person's tongue, especially not from the people he didn't trust. He started shutting everyone out when Russell used everything he knows about Malachai against him, even though Russell knows how much Malachai trusted him. And even though Amelie has known Malachai since they were young, she was one of the people he tried to shut out but that didn't really stop her from being there for him when he needed someone. She was his best friend after all, and the thought of it pained her. She loves him, because despite the cold façade he put up, she was the only one who knew the warm-hearted Malachai.

Amelie had always been one of the boys. But what Malachai admired about her was that she still looked beautiful, she was still a lady, despite what she chose to do; a cap on her head with her long, wavy dark brown hair falling over her shoulders, the sweaters she borrows from Malachai that's too big on her and how she spoke. She didn't want others to belittle her despite the broken family, she didn't want to seem fragile even though everything was falling apart in her world and nevertheless, Malachai adored her. He loves her too much that he even tried to shut her out together with the people who hurt and tried to hurt him, afraid that he would pull her down with him at the bottom of the pit when she already had too much to think of.

But neither of them knew what the other was feeling, because neither of them really knew how their feelings started to develop. All they know is that they were happy with what they are right now, even if it pains them whenever they crave for something more from their friendship.

"Did you know that a child's love is the purest amongst all kinds of love?" Malachai asked, not looking at Amelie as he walked her home.

"Because they're innocent?"

He nodded, "it's amazing, isn't it?" He smiled at how much his best friend knew what he was thinking despite the cold front he had always shown her.

"Why?" She turned her head and saw Malachai smiling, "and why are you smiling?" It wasn't often when Malachai smiles. But when he does, it was genuine, warm. She liked how he only smiles so carefree when he was with her.

He shook his head, "nothing." He then looked at her, his eyes calm and caring, "I just remembered how you told me when we were little that you dream of someone loving you the way you love candies."

She laughed, her voice echoing inside his head, "I was a kid back then, I know nothing." Her smile faded as she continued, "I started letting go of that dream when mom left dad." It was a lie. She was still hoping, believing in them and in what they could have.

He creased his eyebrows as he ruffled her hair, "stop being sentimental, you look ugly." It hurts him to not be able to tell her how much he loves her, that she has him.

"And I didn't know you could be such an ass. You're the only one who tells me I'm ugly," Amelie punched his arm as Malachai's laugh warmed her heart. She liked it when he laughed, it didn't feel empty. It fills her up.

"Come on," he chuckled, "whenever you cry, you call yourself ugly." Even though he was the only one she allowed to come near her whenever she cries, he couldn't look at her. He didn't want to see pain in her eyes.

"It's because I have tears streaming down my face and mucus all over the edge of my nose, ready to fall anytime,"

"Then you start to whine and call yourself ugly," he continued for her.

She sarcastically smiled at him, "then from now on, I won't."

He smirked, "really?"

"Really," she said as she shot him a look.