Chapter Ten

We were all hanging out in the kitchen when Ms. Fitzgerald came in. "Hey kids. What are you doing?"
Lewis hugged his mom. "Just chatting and eating your food."
She spotted Nathan, then looked at Jack and me. "You two know now, I am guessing."
I shook my head yes and Jack spoke. "Yeah, found out tonight. We love him and here for him. Nothing is changing."
Ms. Fitzgerald smiled. "I am so glad my son has amazing friends. I haven't seen him this happy in a long time."
Lewis hid his face in his hands. "Mom."
She giggled. "It is true."
She grabbed a glass of water. "You four don't stay up too late. Night kids."
"Night." We all said.
                                 •
I hopped down off the counter. "Let's watch a movie. We have time for that. Then I should head home."
Nathan grabbed Lewis's hand, dragging him to the living room. "What movie are we going to watch?"
Lewis looked at me, I looked at Jack, and we all nodded. "Harry Potter."
Nathan bit his lip. "Never seen it."
We looked at him like he had four heads. "Guys, time for damage control. Jack get the popcorn, candy, and drinks. Lewis make your uneducated boyfriend sit down and get comfortable. I will get the movie set up."
I got everything plugged in and ready. Jack was back with the goodies. We all sat on the sofa. Jack said it was mandatory that Nathan had a front roll seat. So he sat right in the middle of Jack and Lewis.
Half way through the movie I looked over at Lewis and Nathan. They were all cuddled up and really engaged in the movie. I looked up at Jack. He was mouthing every word.
Harry Potter was always necessary when we had sleepovers when we were younger. Even now, we still pick a night to watch all of them back to back. Betty and Brin liked them and occasionally came over to watch. But they usually had something going on. So, usually it was just three fifths of the gaggle. Which was fine with us. It had always been like that.
I looked at the time. I was already late. "Guys, I have to go."
Lewis broke away from the tv. "What? We only watched two of the movies."
I got up. "I know, I am late though. Mom is going to have two cows instead of one if I don't get home."
Jack laughed. I smacked his shoulder. "Knock it off Jackie boy."
He raised his hands. "I am only laughing because it is true."
"You may be right. We have to go." I grabbed Jack's arm pulling him along.
Nathan waved. "See you guys later."
Lewis smiled turning back to the tv. Jack stopped for a second. "You two behave now."
Lew turned back around and glared at Jack. I mouthed sorry and drug Jack out of the house. Once in the car, I looked at Jack. "Does your parents know you were staying out this late?"
He let out a nervous sigh. "Of course. I told them I would be in later."
"Jack, you are in so much trouble." I laughed and drove off.
I pulled into my driveway, my mom came out of the house. I looked over and Jack's parents were coming over. Jack looked nervous.
Before the parents could say anything, I blurted out. "We were watching Harry Potter at Ms. Fitzgerald's. The time got away from us."
Jack's parents spoke first while mom stood with her arms crossed. "Jack, get your butt in the house. You are lucky we don't ground you."
"I am sorry Mr. and Mrs. Wilson." I stood there ready for a battle like I usually had with mom.
Mrs. Wilson smiled. "It is okay Opal."
Mr. Wilson put an arm around his wife. "Yeah, Jack knew what time to be in. Just glad you two are home and safe."
They walked back to their house. I turned to my mom. Ready to face the wrath. She pointed her finger to the house. I closed my car door and quickly walked in and went upstairs. Mom was not far behind.
I sat on the bed. "How much trouble am I in?"
"None. I told you; you could stay out late. Basically, anyways. Get some sleep. Your dad is taking you somewhere later. I have to go into work. Goodnight." She walked out. 
Before she got far I said night then got up to close my door. I couldn't believe mom had been so cool about things. Dad must have talked to her. That had to be the only reason I didn't get my throat torn out.
I got in my sleep clothes and laid down. Even though it was late, I felt wide awake. I got up and snuck to my parent's room. I could hear the shower running. Mom was getting ready for work. Being a doctor, you went in early and got out very late. I watched dad sleep until I heard the shower go off. I snuck back to my room to sleep.
I laid there staring at my window. Jack's light was still on, which meant he was still awake. I cut my light off when I went to watch dad sleep. I would have texted Jack and told him that my mom didn't do anything nor was I in trouble. But sleep took over as my thoughts of Jack, dad, and my mom jumbled together.