2. The Job

Brandon's POV

Since that freaking embarrassing day, I stopped stalking that guy and tried to forget him. Emphasis on 'tried'.

I even went as far as going away to another country for two weeks. I wanted to run away for months but who was I kidding? I can never outrun my parents. They found me and dragged me home.

I got caught in an island and I was brought back to the country the very same day.

My mom was relentless with her nagging and to stop her, I began working. She was impressed actually so she even stopped sending me to blind dates. My dad was happy, too.

Working as a private investigator was my dream job. It's only been a week since I started working for Uncle Vincent and I've already solved five cases.

"Seems you're not the rebellious Brandy your mother said you are. You've solved more cases than anyone here within a week." Uncle Vincent told me.

Vincent DeLune. He's the owner of the agency I work for. I just smiled thinly. "Anyway, I am sending you to our next client. He's looking or someone. And you're the best in finding people."

Uncle Vince didn't give me a folder about the case like he usually does when he would give me an assignment. Instead, just gave me a piece of paper with an address and a phone number.

"The client will see you tonight at seven. He will give you the details of the job there. Good luck." He said and dismissed me from his office.

Leaving, I shook my head thinking the client must be high profile and a VIP. But I had never handled this kind of client before. I'm still new.

I went back to my desk and using my laptop searched for the address written on the paper that my boss gave me. The house is located in an exclusive community in the suburbs of Aspen. That's over an hour drive from where I work. I should get my dinner before going there.

Without any other information about the client, I decided to leave the office and kill time somewhere. I ended up at home where my mom was talking to a woman in our living room. I felt the tiny pricks in my chest seeing Finnegan's mother, Mrs. Gianna Kree.

"Hello, Mrs. Kree." I greeted our guest then gave my mother a kiss on the cheek.

Finnegan's mother smiled at me and pulled me into a hug. I felt embarrassed because for all I know she heard about the little fiasco I created in a restaurant where her son was having lunch with his fiancee.

"I told you. Call me me auntie. Your mom and I are friends."

I just gave her a polite nod and small smile before I excused myself to head to my room, wishing I didn't come home.

My room that was once decorated by Finnegan's giant poster I had printed was now devoid of anything that reminds me of him. All his photos I collected were gone. I even threw away the laptop and phone where I kept my diary, digital photos, his schedules, his whereabouts with dates on them during the time I stalked him. I chunked it all hoping he'll disappear from my head

All I have now are memories. If only I could delete them, too…

A knock at my door made me wake up from reverie and wipe my tears I didn't notice at first.

"Bran? Do you have anything planned tonight?" My mother said after opening my door and she leaned against the frame.

"I'm visiting a new client tonight, mom. It's in Aspen." I responded as I got out of bed. "You don't have to prepare dinner for me."

"Hm. I thought you could come with us. We're having dinner with the family of your father's boss."

I shook my head. "I'll get my dinner on the way. This client seems important. I can't cancel the meeting."

My mother smiled as walked towards me before I could reach my bathroom. She cupped my face like the worried mother she is, treating me like a baby sometimes . "You're really not yourself. Is it because of that--

"Mom. I don't wanna talk about him." My mother knows about my unrequited feelings for the son of my father's boss. She knows about the restaurant incident as well. What doesn't she know.

"I'm gonna take a shower and head out. I will probably stay in Aspen tonight. Depending on the case, I might not be home for days."

"Alright." My mother sighed and released me. She reached for my hair, ruffled it and smiled sadly at me. "I'm sorry."

I just gave her a regretful smile. It wasn't her fault but I didn't feel like saying anything anymore nor dwell on it.

It just hurts more.

____________________tbc/Zia