C h a p t e r | 04

Your body may be gone,
I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.

~ Ocean Breathes Salty, Modest Mouse

A steep climb leads up to the place that tour guides call the most romantic place in Rome - The Orange Trees Garden.

"What time is it?", I ask almost running up the hill, grabbing Adriano behind me.

"7 a.m., why?", Adriano asked amused by my excitement.

"Hurry up, or we might miss it.", I panicked.

"If I'd knew we were walking up a hill, I would have worn my trekking shoes instead of my Louboutins", Mei huffed.

"Come here.", Kareem chuckled.

I heard Mei shrieking, so I turned around to see that Kareem was giving her piggy-back ride.

"I've never been here at this hour.", Mei said, astonished by the view that just opened up to us."

This garden has a magical atmosphere with walkways among a grove of orange trees and with huge stone pines towering over the entire area.

The orange smell makes you almost forget that you're in a big city.

"It just opened, quick let's go to the terrace!", I exclaimed.

We were running to the terrace, almost pushing back some bystanders that we're going to the same direction.

"Just in time!", I breathed heavily.

Our gaze went to the sunrise, a brilliant display of reds and oranges over the the panorama of the historical centre of Rome, with a prominent view over the St. Peter's Basilica.

"Wow.", Kareem exclaimed.

"The city seems so small, like I could grab it from here.", Mei agreed, holding out a hand to the scenery.

I started freezing and Adriano wrapped his arms around me from behind, leaning his head on mine. My heart was beating a mile per hour, enveloped from his warmth and smell.

"I wish I could stop time and be here forever.", I whispered, "The view is breathtaking."

"Yes, you're right.", I turned to see that it was me who he was admiring.

I playfully slapped his arm, tongue tied by his smoothness.

When was the last time I was so happy?

It made me think about my last birthdays with my family. My grandma's birthday cake, mom's beautiful smile, and how protected I felt in the arms of my father.

As I feel safe in Adriano's embrace. Is that wrong? Why did Rita warn me about him?

Adriano took a strand of my hair and played with it, when he asked in a concerned voice, "What's going on in your mind?"

Not wanting to destroy the atmosphere, I just replied, "Nothing, I'm just tired."

•••••

Sunday is family day, right? My definition is a bit different.

The weather forecast we're speaking about heavy rain, during the whole weekend, but I couldn't stay home.

I was walking to my destination when a red car approached me.