Fading

~this is one of my worst written chapters so far, feedback appreciated~

~angst?~

~during infinity war/ endgame~

Enjoy!

***

"Mr. Stark?"

"M-Mr. Stark..? What's happening..?"

Peter staggers towards Tony, falling into his arms.

"Hang on kid, everything will be fine, okay? Keep fighting. Just keep fighting."

"It hurts so bad... I want to let go..."

"No kid, you have to stay with me okay? Everything will be fine, we'll get back to earth, okay?" Tony's trying to stay calm, but his panic is starting to show. He wants to try to act brave for the kid, but it isn't going so well.

"I-I'm sorry Mr. Stark..." Peter looks into Tony's eyes, then his eyes start to roll upwards. His arm slowly starts turning into dust.

Tony does what it takes, he slaps him across the face. This seems to wake him up. His eyes start to have a bit more life in then, so Tony slaps him once more, and he sits upright quickly.

"Keep. Fighting. It seems to be working... you need to stay alive."

"There's no point, in the end, I'll still go, I can feel it. I can't keep fighting" Peter responds desperately.

"No. I'm not going to lose you, you hear me?"

Peter sighs, looking down. He notices his left arm is cracked. Like it was on the verge of being dusted away. A few pieces of dust blowing into the wind.

Panic overtakes him, "M-Mr. Stark...?"

"Yeah kid?"

Peter starts backing away, extending his arm trying to get as far away from his arm as possible.

Tony notices, and tries to calm him down a bit. He knows he shouldn't, the more Peter calms down, the more he might stop fighting against whatever force is pulling him is what Tony assumes.

"Look, it's fine. That's just your arm, you'll be fine Peter..." Right after Tony spoke those words, he sees a faint figure behind Peter. He squints his eyes to get a better look, and it's someone flying towards them, a big ship in hand.

The rest is a blur. They quickly transfer Peter onto the ship, Tony ignoring the questioning looks of the others.

All of a sudden, Tony hears a cry of pain. He rushes towards the sound, running into Peter's room. "It... hurts... too much! Please, I don't wanna do this anymore Mr. Stark, please Mr. Stark, please..." Peter looks at Tony with such pleading eyes, Tony has to look away.

He slowly moves his way to Peter's bed, "Try to stay alive, okay? We'll get back to earth, we'll try to find a cure, then everything will be alright. I don't want you to go Peter."

"I don't wanna go either, Mr. Stark."

Tony runs his fingers through his own hair, words lost and looking around frantically. He makes his way towards the front of the ship, able to see earth in the distance.

He chuckles a little in relief, "Peter! Peter we're almost there! Is there any way this ship could go faster?!"

There's nothing Tony can do but wait while his son was dying in the other room. He has multiple small anxiety attacks while pacing the ship back and forth, occasionally checking up on Peter.

Once they land, Tony immediately carries Peter out, running past Pepper and Steve who were waiting for him.

He rushes into a med bay while the others run after him. Peter stills seems to be in pain, but looks like he's trying everything to hold it back.

"Tony! What's going on! What happened to Peter?!" Pepper asks walking into the room, seeing the boy swearing and his eyes clenched closed.

"Pepper! Oh my god," he immediately braces his fiancé into a hug. It doesn't last for more than a few seconds until he pulls away, still holding her in his arms, "Peter... Peter he's dying, and we don't have much time, please Pepper there's gotta be something-"

Tony's interrupted by a cry of pain once again from Peter, who's arm is slowly crippling away. Tony let's go of Pepper and runs over to be next to him.

"Peter kid, you gotta just keep fighting okay? Don't give up! You can do this!"

Peter frantically shakes his head no, just wanting the pain to be over.

Tony hears a voice by the doorway, he turns around, "Tony." It's Steve.

"Can we talk?"

"Does it look like I have time to talk? Where's Bruce?"

"Tony, you know this can't go on forever."

Tony walks over to Steve, "Listen here Steve. He is only a child, a child! He's my child! And if you think I'm just going to let him die? You are dead wrong."

"Tony..."

"What?" Tony says with such sharpness, but stops his glaring when Steve gestures towards the kid.

Peter's crying, tears spilling out of his eyes, sniffling his nose, trying to hide it.

"Peter please, you can't give up. I know this is painful, but I need you to be tough for me, could you do that?" Tony wants nothing more than to touch him, to comfort him, but he doesn't want Peter to relax too much, so he makes do with words.

"Mr. Stark..."

"Yes Peter?"

Peter looks up at Tony dead in the eye, Peter's eyes red and bloodshot, sweat dripping off of his forehead, lips quivering. So it takes Peter a while to say it, but he finally does, "Mr. Stark, please let me die."

And with that he was gone.

Dust all that's left on the medical bed. Tony starts desperately clawing at it, trying to put it back together, but the dust just slips through his fingers.

He falls to the floor, sobbing. He should've touched Peter one last time, ran his hand through his curls. He should've comforted him better, telling him a story like he always does. He should've told Peter that he loves him, and that he means more to him than anything, but instead, he yelled at him to fight a losing battle. To make him suffer in his last moments and not to rest.

He feels a hand on his shoulder, but he doesn't care who it is, and just lets it sit there, wishing he could've done the same to his boy.

His son, who he would never see again.