He Put a Chip on Me

“Of course I came, I told you I would,” said the brunette, smiling as she entered the front door. The smile did not hide the weariness on her eyes, though. “Why would you think I wouldn’t?” She turned her head back, puzzle in her eyes.

“I ran into James the other day, before Christmas, and he said you both already had plans for the New Year’s Eve, so you wouldn’t join us.” The blond replied, a pursed smile on her face. And she did not fail to notice the shadow crossing Amy’s eyes at the mention of his name.

“Well…” Amy sighed. “Jamie Snowell knows nothing,” and with a smirk, she made her way towards the living room, to greet all others.

Raising both brows in a mix of curiosity and already having an idea what had occurred, Janine closed the door and followed Amy to join the rest.

It was a small gathering, a few old friends in their annual meeting to greet a whole new twelve months of new expectations. Besides Janine, the host this year, there was Shane Bates, her husband, a dark haired with dark eyes man. He was standing with a glass of wine on his hands, and Father Christmas hat he insisted on using. He worried about all the things going as planned, checking if everyone was doing alright. Julia and Michael Cline, another couple, were present. Sophie Downer, with her curly blond hair, was on her own - no boyfriend or husband in tow. And lastly there was Charlie, with intense dark green eyes and brown longish hair, also on his own.

Amelia  Frost sat on an armchair, perpendicular to the large white couch; her back to the large glass door headed to the garden. She accepted eagerly a glass of wine Shane handed her, opting for it instead of the champagne. She could  sense all eyes on her, all eyes asking the same question, but it seemed no one dared to ask. No one but Sophie.

“Where’s Jamie?”

Amelia pursed her lips, took one long sip from her glass. “I have no idea.”  She shook her head and shrugged, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible. She added, “Besides, it does not concern me anymore. I suppose we broke up.” She blurted, taking another long sip while not taking her eyes off anybody, noticing their different reactions. Some truly looked surprised, others seemed like expecting. After placing the glass on top of the center table, Amy reclined her back into the armchair.

“About time!” The reaction came from Janine, actually the last person Amelia expected such outburst. She just opened her mouth to reply, but nothing came out.

“What do you mean you suppose you broke up?” Charlie was the one to ask, looking intensely at Amy. He was closer to her on the large white couch.

“Well, we had a fight - for a change - then he left, I left, and that’s it. I haven’t seen or heard of him for three days.” She couldn’t face her friends anymore. She knew their opinion about Jamie, and she knew especially that they had reasons to it. She couldn’t, or didn’t want to, face it just now. “But this is not important,” bravely she added, “tell me what you people have been doing.” Amelia’s desperate attempt to change the subject did not fool Janine, who had questioning eyes towards her. Amelia averted her look, focusing on Julia instead, “I heard you’re having a baby, is that so?”

“It is!” Julia replied excitedly, gladly abiding by answering the question. And on she went on talking about finding out, the four months pregnancy, and so it goes.

“Now you tell me what really happened.” Demanded Janine when Amelia entered the kitchen to wash her glass in order to drink now champagne.

Amelia was startled, she thought the kitchen was empty, but there, leaning against the sink, stood Janine with her arms crossed. “Just leave it, Jan.” She sighed.