Chapter 1 {Internship}

So, after writing most of this first chapter, I realized that this sounded sort of familiar. Then I realized. It's kind of like Berryrebel23's story "Life is Like a Hurricane" (Which I highly recommend!!!) But this is probably not near as great as theirs. (And probably doesn't have near as many plot twists XD)
(Also, for whatever reason I can't tag people... 🤷‍♀️)

~~~

(Y/n) took a deep breath and pushed open one of the large doors.

"Mr. McDuck?" (Y/n) said. The aforementioned duck glanced over at her from his chair at the end of his long table.

"Hold on, lass." he said, then turned back to the board of directors in front of him, "I've already told you, we are not cutting funding for my money polish, and that's final."

He then stood up and walked over to the young duck. "What did you need, lass?" he asked. He walked out the door and into the hallway, motioning for (Y/n) to follow.

"Sir, I wanted to ask if it would be possible for me to intern under one of your scientists?" (Y/n) asked, following him.

"Hmm..." he thought for a moment, "Yes," he then proceeded to answer. The young duck was shocked at his answer. He continued, "I always welcome young minds, eager to learn."

"T-thank you, Mr. McDuck!" (Y/n) replied, almost too shocked, at how easy it was, to speak.

"You'll be under my top scientist, Gyro Gearloose." he stopped at a door that said "McDuck" on a gold plaque. He then gave the girl some directions on how to get to the lab, and she set off.

I think I may have taken a wrong turn.

(Y/n) was now in a hallway similar to all the other thousands of hallways. She wasn't sure where she was going, but she kept walking because she didn't want to seem childish and irresponsible, having forgotten Mr. McDuck's directions. Though, apparently, someone had noticed.

"Are you lost?" a voice behind (Y/n) asked. She jumped a bit at the sound. When she turned around, she was met with a tan duck wearing a light yellow shirt and a purple tie. (Y/n) nodded in answer to his question, and he continued, "Where are you headed?"

"To Dr. Gearloose's lab." she answered.

"Oh! That's where I'm going! I can take you there, if you'd like." he offered.

"Okay. Thank you." (Y/n) replied. The two of them set off down the hallway.

"I'm Fenton, by the way." he said.

"(Y/n)." she responded.

Soon, the pair had reached the underwater lab.

Gyro saw Fenton walk in with (Y/n).

"Who's that?" he asked, going back to his work.

"Hi, Dr. Gearloose! I'm (Y/n) Featherclaw, your new intern!"

"You're replacing me?" Fenton's eyes teared up a bit.

"What? No." Gyro replied.

"I talked to Mr. McDuck, and he said that I could intern under you." (Y/n) continued.

"Ugh, fine." he muttered in response.

"So I'm not fired?" Fenton asked with concern. When Gyro nodded his head, Fenton sighed in relief.

"So, what are we gonna do?" (Y/n) asked with excitement, "Build a rocket? Make stuff explode? Discover a new element?"

"I am inventing a teleportation device. And you are going to figure out the exact boiling point of that mixture over there." Gyro said, pointing to a large beaker of blue liquid. "And remember, keep a good eye on it so you get the exact temperature."

(Y/n) nodded, walked over to the beaker, picked it up, and walked over to a Bunsen burner. After setting it up, she turned the Bunsen burner on and began to watch it carefully.

~Five minutes later~

(Y/n) groaned. It was boring watching the liquid boil. It hadn't even began to move. (Y/n) slumped down further into her seat.

"You okay?" Fenton asked with concern, as he walked over to her.

"I just want this stupid liquid to boil already!" she huffed. Fenton hummed in acknowledgement, sitting down in a chair next to her.

"If you're willing to wait, your work will be done a lot better. If you aren't patient, it won't be done right."

(Y/n) sighed, knowing he was right.

~A super long while later~

(Y/n) looked up from where she had been building a tower, of sorts, out of miscellaneous objects, and saw small bubbles in the liquid.

"Two hundred and sixty-two degrees Fahrenheit!" she shouted, running over to Dr. Gearloose.

"Well done." he said, "You may be of use."