Rainfall

It was a rainy day in Seattle. Maddie stared out the blurry apartment window, stroking the back of her grey tabby cat. The room was quiet aside from the raindrops hitting the glass, and the only light provided was from a tall lamp beside the sofa. A book was placed on top of the coffee table, and she was snuggled up under an ivory wool blanket. Life was good. She hoped London was feeling good, too.

    Her phone screen lit up just as she was thinking of her.

"Okay! I live in california tho...." the response read.

Maddie had noticed that over the years, London had gotten better at spelling. Like, she could actually properly spell Maddie's name and didn't mess up her words constantly. She wasn't perfect, but she was better.

"can't you just pick me up in a private jet or something??" responded Maddie.

"Oh. ya!! Ummm... idk where u live maddie."

"uh. seattle. I already told you this??"

"Oh lmao i thought you were joking arent u poor?"

Maddie rolled her eyes. Classic London.

"i used to be, but now i have enough to afford an apartment."

"I'll pick u up 2morrow!"

Maddie gave London her address and shut her phone off. She focused her eyes back on her book, tabby cat purring beside her.

Something was... off.

Maddie set her book down and got up from the sofa, her cat meowing and stretching its paws out when she got up.

"I'll be back in a sec, okay kitty?"

Another mewling sound came from behind her, sounding almost like a response.

The storms outside were growing louder by the moment, so much so that Maddie feared the power might go out. The gale was heavy, and the trees creaked ominously. She made a slightly concerned noise, but quickly became chilly and rushed back to the couch so she wrap herself back up in the blanket. Her cat purred, satisfied that she had returned to cuddle with her.

The warmth was comforting even in the midst of the storm. Maddie found herself drifting off to the sound of the wind and rain. She supposed a nap wouldn't hurt.

Maddie shot up from her slumber as a rapid knocking sounded on her apartment door. Her cat yowled at the surprising movement and jumped off of the sofa. Maddie threw the blanket aside and got up, running to the front door to see what the ruckus was. She undid the lock slightly and opened the door to see...

London, drenched and sitting in the middle of the apartment floor's hallway. She was shaking, drops of water streaming down her face. Maddie couldn't discern whether they were tears or rain, but based on her frightened expression, it was probably both.

"London—! You're-! Are you okay!?" exclaimed Maddie.

"I'm freezing," she replied.

"Shit, come inside. I didn't expect you to get here so soon." She grabbed London's hands and helped her inside, then closed the apartment door behind them.

"Wow, your apartment isn't as boring as I thought it would be," croaked London.

"Thanks," said Maddie sarcastically. "How did you get here so fast?"

"Private jet," said London instinctively.

Maddie raised an eyebrow, but moved on from the topic. "You look awful. No offense, but... you're just... sopping wet on my living room floor."