Fanfiction Advice

Interested in this article? DM and apply!

Welcome to the fanfiction advice page! I am very happy to give you the best advice I can offer to start off this magazine

Welcome to the fanfiction advice page! I am very happy to give you the best advice I can offer to start off this magazine. For those who don't know, I am NikitaGemini. My main account is now @geminisadistic and I'm proud to say that most of my works have gained a lot of popularity whether or not I wanted it. I'm not here to boast, I just want to share some credibility!

That aside, I'm very confident in my writing ability. I know I'm not the best, but I am very confident in my position as "above average." How did I gain such confidence? Well, that's what we are going to talk about today.

There is one question I'm asked a lot (other than the "how do you make your graphics" one) and that is "How do you write so well and how can I do the same?" Well, I do want to say first and foremost that it requires practice. You can't wake up one day and be better without the extra work put into it. Want me to be honest? There are times I get SICK of writing because of how much I'll do it. It's no joke. 

But there is one piece of advice that I received thanks to a Tumblr post. It wasn't a post about writing or anything, it was actually a story about how this one user almost ran over Stephen King because he was jaywalking.

 It wasn't a post about writing or anything, it was actually a story about how this one user almost ran over Stephen King because he was jaywalking

While the story is funny and all, I really took those words to heart. Because when you think about your favorite novel, consider how it's a book that can't be compared to anything else. It can be something significant or a small, minuscule detail. Regardless of what it is, that author stepped into unknown territory to paint their own picture. 

And that's the beauty of writing.

A piece of paper or a document such as this right now is such an empty canvas. While it may not look visually appealing since it is just words, but the art is the power behind those words. How can you move your reader? How can you tell your own story?

Once I stopped worrying about my untraditional way of writing, I felt freer. I was able to tell my own stories with confidence rather than fear that I was going to get flamed for being "improper." 

(Disclaimer: that does not mean to disregard grammar. Grammar is different that telling a story. Grammar is simply using the English language; It doesn't add or take from your story. Grammar is important, don't ignore it on purpose!)

Much to my surprise, I was able to get a lot more praise once I felt comfortable enough to write how I wanted to. Good writing isn't taught. It's all depending on how well you can create a story and how you can tell it. To be a good writer, you have to be passionate. If you don't love writing, you can't be good at it. It's as simple as that.

When you write how you want, your passion shows. And guess what your passion does for your readers? It draws them in like an instinct. Maybe they don't even like the plot, but your use of words and how powerful you make them to be thanks to your passion, it attracts them like a magnet. 

That being said, use this power wisely. Once you see your power, it becomes a tool that you can bend to your will. Now then, enjoy writing your own stories. I hope to later see you in our fanfiction reviews.