chapter one: Myrddin

Far in the northern  mountains of Norway, lay the village of Myrddin. It was,and still is, settled in a small valley between four mountains, whose tops were always covered in thick,heavy snow. The small village was so cut off from the rest of the world,that it had kept all the ancient traditions the modern world had  lost.

Only once a year, all the important  men and women of Myrddin would go on a journey to the closest big town,to register  births, deaths or marriages. They always brought back many presents and when they returned, the whole village would celebrate for at least three days.

The habitants of Myrddin lived in harmony with nature and most of them never  ate  meat. Those who did,would go hunt with the weapons that hurt the less possible and would always pick very old or severely wounded animals.

In  winter, wild animals often got into  the houses, seeking for some warmth. On ice cold days,it was common to see a wolf or a stag curled up near the fireplace with a several children  next to them.

There also  was a small school,led by an  old,wise man named Svengal. They  only had  three or two  days of school a week,for the inhabitants  believed that you could learn more by exploring the world on your own rhythm than listening to a teacher on an uncomfortable wooden bench.
Some  children only came to school to learn how to write and read,and then never came at all. Others studied very hard,and some would  even leave the village  when they were older,to go to the "big schools outside"
Everyone was free to do whatever they thought was the best for  them.