Chapter 6: James

I settle into the middle of my king sized bed with a bowl of cookies and cream ice cream and push play on the remote continuing my Netflix marathon.

The beeping of my phone starts and seems to go on and on as each message comes it

-Jay everything ok?- Jo's message opens first.

-James call me, now- Parker's message is next followed by some from Elizabeth and Whitney, followed by more from everyone one after another.

What the hell is wrong with everyone? I know I'm getting close to having Easton but what crawled up everyone's ass tonight. It's been two weeks since they kick started my life and made me see I was out of time.

-I'm fine- I text Jo back first because I know she will march her ass right over here if I don't. My finger grazes the send button just as I hear the front door open. Jo has a key but why would she be here this late at night, I just want to enjoy my ice cream and binge watch tv.

I sit my bowl down and climb out of my comfy bed and waddle to the door. As I open it I'm greeted with Jo. She looks terrified.

"What the hell is wrong? Where's P?" I ask looking around for my goddaughter, did she really leave her home alone. "You left her at home?" I'm shocked and scared.

"No mom is staying the night and having a Grammy and P sleepover. Why didn't you answer your text?" Relief washed over her face as her eyes take me in from head to toe, half expecting there to be blood or a missing appendage.

"Because I had just crawled back into bed when you and everyone else started freaking out.

Now I see the worry etched across her face, she is scared and I don't get why.

"Jay!" Ely's voice booms through the house from the front door followed by what has to be an army of footsteps behind him.

"What the hell Ely? You can't just barge in in the middle of the night." My eyes fly across everyone's face as they all stare between me and Ely.

"I know but I had to know you were okay and no one was messaging me back so I came myself." His breathing is heavy and labored but the panic is still very prominent in his eyes. I look at everyone as if they've lost their damn minds and then it hits me, Emerson.

"Look I'm fine," I show everyone my arms and kick out each leg, but no one smiles. "no one has come in unannounced except you all. And since I know none of you are going to tell me what is actually going on I'm going to ask you all to leave the way you came." Their bodies sag at my words but I don't care this is my house damn it.

Ely takes a brave step to me, followed by another and another. Each step he gets closer and closer my body sings, betraying my head and heart until he is right in front of me, my belly sticking out and touching his. My skin electrifies at his touch and it's too much to bare and I take a small step back to separate us.

"Emerson called me tonight, he's been watching you and I didn't know if he was here tonight or just talking in general. All I know is I had to see if you were okay." His voice is quiet and calculated, his hands squeezing into fists as he restrains from reaching out and touch me. I want him to but my heart is telling me I do not need it.

"I'm fine" I fold my arms across my chest and rest them on my very pregnant belly. Everyone is watching our interaction no one making a move here or there, just watching.

"You can all go home, I'm fine and I'll set the security system. Really it's fine" I reassure them stepping around Ely and walking everyone to the door.

"You want some company?" Jo asks and they all turn back to me hoping I'll say yes but I don't want it or need it.

I reassure each of them again as they say their goodbyes one at a time. They all file out and into their cars before backing down my driveway leaving it empty. Where's Ely's car?