Writing Styles

There are many styles or writing out there. Not all of them can be considered good. A general rule of thumb is DO NOT   write in the following style.

Person A: What are you doing?
Person B: Demonstrating how not to write.

That's a play script people and a very primitive one at that! You want your writing to be engaging. To do that you need to write properly and use descriptive language. Play scripts don't need as much description as they are meant to be acted out. Try writing more like this.

"What are you doing?" Asked Person A curiously. He leaned over to look at Person B's note pad.
"Demonstrating how not to write," replied Person B seriously.

So try to include more descriptive words in your story as this engages the audience more. If you can engage the audience they are more likely to keep reading and promote your book. However, don't overload your text with description. Moderation is important. You also want your writing to sound natural and flow nicely as well. Here is an example from Eragon by Christopher Paolini of good description.

As specified before it is important to make your writing sound natural

As specified before it is important to make your writing sound natural. If it doesn't it could make readers view you as a 'Try Hard'. A good way to make sure your writing sound natural is to read it out loud. Here is an example of natural sounding writing from The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Of course it is important to proof read your text to avoid typos and grammar mistakes

Of course it is important to proof read your text to avoid typos and grammar mistakes. A tip for this is to read it out loud or ask someone else to read it. Of course, the only way for you to improve all of these things is to practice. Practice makes perfect!