Chapter 2: When All Seems Perfect

Chantry opened his eyes and blinked away the sleep. He sat up and stretched at bit. It was still dark outside, however the clock on the microwave said it wouldn't be dark for very long. "Four twenty-seven. Sun's usually up around five. Maybe I should get up." He looked around the room and saw the empty beer bottle lying next to his laptop that was now on the floor. "I must have fallen asleep after I got off the phone with Kevin."

Picking up the laptop, he quickly scanned it to make sure there were no cracks as he didn't remember putting it on the floor himself. When everything seemed fine on the outside he opened the device and checked the screen. As he did the laptop loaded his previous screen, his email. "Looks fine," he said as he was about to close the device once more. That action was delayed when he noticed there was a new email. It was from an old high school friend, Dion Trevors. Clicking on the link, he began to read:

TO: c.b.candlestickmaker@cluttermail.com
FR: dtrevors@profession.org

SUBJECT: Getting the Gang Together

    Hey C,

Hope this message finds you in good health. I know it's been a while, but I was hoping to get the old group back together for a quick game, and to catch up on what's been going on. I'm hoping this is still your current email address. Please let me know asap so I can stop stalking you. LOL. Also, so that I can start getting something organized. It would mean a lot if you could join.

Talk to you later,

Dion

This was amazing! At the time I was in need of something great in my life. Especially since I didn't know what to do about Trista. Yes, I loved her. Nothing on that front changed. I would always love her. The only problem was how it ended. I wasn't quite ready to open that door, but a game of soccer was something that could lift my spirits.

Without a second thought I responded to the email. Looking back at the clock Chantry closed the laptop and began his ritual to begin work.

***

The day went by extremely quick. Chantry felt better than he'd ever felt. Richard had assigned him a team to see how well he did in a management position. Through out the day his team members would come to him with issues and he'd resolve them as quickly as possible. There were some that required a bit of thinking, but overall, Chantry had done such a great job Richard made it a point to say something to him at the end of the day.

The day continued as he got home when he opened the laptop and saw there was a reply from Dion about the game. They had settled on Saturday in the morning so as the sun wouldn't get too intense for them.

After responding to the email and preparing for the next day, Chantry settled down for the night with some bad cable programming and a beer. As he flipped through the channels, all that kept playing were old sappy love stories like Breakfast at Tiffany's, An Affair to Remember, The Notebook, and The Princess Bride. Each time he would end up on a movie, he would start to think about Trista and remembered that he hadn't responded to her. The more he ran into some love story, the more he kept thinking he wanted to do a date with her to at least catch up. The only problem was working up the courage to say something.

After another beer, and watching the end to A Walk in the Clouds, Chantry lifted up the laptop and opened it to is email. Opening up Trista's last message, he began typing:

TO: trista.loren@scholar.edu
FR: c.b.candlestickmaker@cluttermail.com

SUBJECT: RE Catch up   

Hi Trista,

It has been a really long time. I think a dinner date would be a great way to catch up. Let me know what day works best for you. I'm usually off at 6pm.