Chapter I: Smiles of Sunshine

Chapter I: Smiles of Sunshine

"A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you."

―Elbert Hubbar

.

.

.

Set when Renesmee is physically around thirteen.

The hunt had begun.

Morning dew hit the lowland trees, glistening from the mist that was starting to hang over the woodland. But the sun was still bright in its setting. It cast an orange glow that illuminated the light, but darkened the shade.

The perfect time for stalking prey.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Silence.

His footsteps glided over the leaves that should have crinkled, but his step was so light that he didn't make a sound.

His golden eyes darted left and right, calculating each step before taking it. As the darkness that had settled in began to rise and vanish, his honeyed hair blew in the gentle morning breeze. The locks, the stunning figure, the eyes that drew people in without a second glance: a predator of unparalleled power. So angelic and deceptively innocent; yet his every molecule was a means of capturing the attention of those who would inevitably fall victim to his beauty.

He enticed prey.

And he meant to.

His ear picked up the almost imperceptible sound of movement to the east and with gentle steps he moved forward, a smile forming on his lips. There was a quiet rustle of an animal grazing and he became alive with the thrill of the hunt. And he was off in the sound's direction, skittering around trees and over fallen trunks, his mouth watering to the scent that was growing stronger with every step—

But then a twig snapped behind him and his daughter fell into the clearing. Straight onto her hands and knees with a bang and a groan. The sound and smell of prey disappeared instantly.

Edward sighed and darted to the fallen Renesmee. "Are you alright? Did you hurt yourself?"

Nessie scowled at the scrapes on her palms. "Only my pride," she muttered.

Edward took her hands and frowned at them. "You've got to be more careful, darling."

"I was only trying to keep up with you."

Guilt crept up his spine and into his veins. He was trying to encourage her with his speed, not force her to struggle to keep up. "I'm sorry, Nessie; I should have waited for you."

"No. I know I have to learn. It's just . . . hard." Renesmee's vampire instincts had grown very shallow since she was young; her human side was far more prevalent. Running, hunting, preying, all the things that came so natural to him were such a struggle for her.

So much of her was human and wasn't compatible in the vampire world. But she was trapped in it. And tried so hard to belong.

He kissed both of her palms softly. "Better?"

She smiled. "A little."

Edward stood up and bent down slightly so she could climb on his back. "Come on, that's enough for today. Let's get home. We can try again tomorrow." Renesmee complied quickly and wrapped her arms around his neck. He walked back in the direction of their house, slowly, leisurely.

What am I doing wrong? she thought to him. She knew she was doing a lot of it wrong. What she really needed to know was how she could improve.