Borrasca Part 4

When I pulled up to his house the next morning, I could tell Kyle had cracked. He his skin had taken on a yellowed color and his voice was flat and void of emotion.

"It's not over yet, Kyle," I said as he dropped into the seat next to me.

"Yes, it is, Sam." He all but whispered.

"No, I don't believe that. Kimber's dad is missing too, you know. Maybe it was him instead that was...that was..." I couldn't bring myself to say it.

"We're living in hell. Drisking, it's Hell in our own reality."

I couldn't disagree. The town I'd grown to love seemed so foreign to me now. Whitney hadn't been an outlier like I'd thought. Missing people were the norm here. "And that would make Jimmy Prescott the king. He's Satan, himself."

As soon as the words were out of my mouth Kyle punched the car door, awaking from his dead state with rageful vigor. "I'll fucking kill Jimmy Prescott! Where is that motherfucker! You know he's involved in all this, Sam, you know-"

"Maybe partially." I said, staring out the window. "His dad created the town that bred this shit but I'm pretty sure the Prescott's are just running drugs. You know, the powder."

"Yeah... and so what, he's recruiting people to be- to be drug mules or something?"

"Maybe," I agreed for Kyle's sake, though I didn't really believe it. The sound, the great beast machine of Borrasca gave off the distinct stench of death. And though I knew that physically that was impossible, it didn't change my mind about it. The air smelled different after the metallic wailing ended.

We drove over to 4th Street Gourmet Coffee and Bakery and went in to buy our usual provisions of Rockstars and Monsters. As I paid for the four-packs of cans I saw Meera waiting on coffee at the end of the bar. I could tell immediately that she was in a good mood, something that I hadn't seen much of since I'd started working for her. It was probably a good time to tell her I was calling out of work for my 5th day in a row.

"Hi Meera," I muttered when I approached. "Ah...I can't come in again today. I've got some- some really important-"

"Sam! Oh my gosh, how are you?"

"Um...o- okay." I stuttered.

"Good!" She said, brightly. "Don't worry about coming in, I'll hold down the fort and I'm sure I can call Emmaline in if I need help. But really, Sam, what have you been up to lately that's so important?"

My mind blanked. Just as I started to stutter out some bullshit about helping my dad, Kyle appeared behind me.

"We're trying to find Borrasca." He said with all the gravitas of a eulogy.

"Ah, yes. Owen told me you'd asked him about that. You know that's just a story, Sam; that legend has been around since I was a kid."

"Yeah, well, we're looking for our missing friend, Kimber. We think maybe she's... there," I trailed off lamely.

"Oh really? I thought I heard the Destaros were staying with relatives in Maine over the summer. Oh well. Anyway, good luck, boys."

"Thanks." Kyle's voice was sour and I knew his patience was thin.

When we got back into the car we each popped open a can of Rockstar and started chugging. I knew better than to ask Kyle if he wanted to smoke since I was sure he hadn't lit a bowl since before Kimber disappeared. He finished the energy drink in under a minute and crumpled the can in his hand.

"I don't like your boss," he said.

"Meera? Why not?"

"I don't know. She's...just...off."