Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Ara stared out at the treetops of the forest, letting her mind flood with thoughts. It's been a few weeks since the war ended, and there are still people recovering from the injuries of battle, like Alexa. Tao hadn't left her side ever since she fell asleep on the cloud bed at Baz's trees. Ara felt a deep sense of admiration of the bond they shared.

During the battle, they had captured Amadove, the princess of the Rudite. It had taken several long debates, but in the end, it was decided that the princess was to be free of imprisonment. However, she would not be allowed to come anywhere near the Rock any time soon.

Nick had left earlier that morning, leaving Ara to wait impatiently for his return, which explains why she is staring at the trees.

I wonder where he went... Ara thought. She was unsure of where she stood with him. Everyone was telling her that it was common to marry their Match, but that's not what Ara wanted, at least not at the moment. She was still so young... too young to be considering marriage.

Maybe I should go visit Alexa until Nick gets back... Ara decided that that would be a good idea. She hadn't visited Alexa very much lately. Seeing how her friends were doing would help keep her thoughts from racing.

Without thinking, Ara teleported from her room to Alexa's. As she had expected, Tao sat on the side of Alexa's bed, holding her hand. She was only resting, yet Tao looked like she was in a coma. There were dark bags beneath his turquoise eyes, his brown hair was messy, and his skin was paler than usual. Although Alexa was doing much better after receiving Baz's treatment, she still looked awful. The right side of her face was almost completely covered in blue or green bruises that made to look painful for her to talk, but that didn't stop Alexa from talking.

Tao's head was resting on Alexa's cloud bed. He was holding on to Alexa's hand, which was resting on his head. When Ara saw that they were both sleeping she sighed. The lights that always form around her began to appear. She left before they would become bright enough to wake them up.

"I don't know what to do!" Ara yelled. The centre of Arbe, where she stood now, echoed her cry. She could see a stream of sunlight breaking through the thick layers of the trees. Orbs had formed around her, making the air shimmer. What if this is all a dream? None of this should even be possible! Dread filled Ara. She hoped it wasn't all just a dream. She would miss them too much.

Ara's chest fluttered with a feeling she had felt very few times before; she still wasn't sure what it meant. Oh! Nick must be back! She almost slapped herself. Relax, Ara! He's just... you know... the guy you've been matched to, who you get-you have to spend the rest of your life with... No biggie.

Despite the fact that Ara was disciplining herself for getting excited over Nick's arrival, she still couldn't wait to see him again. I sound like a lovesick puppy!

...Whatever.

Ara closed her eyes, and teleported to where Nick was, which she had no idea how she knew.

The ceiling consisted mainly of tightly-knit branches thick with large leaves. The ground was some type of smooth, white wood that started to get bumps as you got closer to the very end of the room. There was one, very wide chair made of the white, knotted branches. Nick was standing in front of it, with his back to Ara, enjoying its majestic elegance. He was holding something.

Ara had teleported a few feet behind him. Her steps were quick as she walked to him, stopping only a few inches behind him.

"Umm... hi," she said quietly. Nick turned his head, smiling when he saw her.