Chapter 1: My Present

Hey, have you heard of the girl with curly brown hair, small nose, pointed eyes, and don't forget her double-chin who clumsily fell down the stairs in the hall? Or maybe you've heard of the time that same girl farted on the bus on the way home from school? Or that time when she got rejected by the guy she likes when she embarrassingly confessed to him in front of hundreds of people? Sounds familiar? Oh, don't forget she got her cake slammed to her face that time too.

Yep, those were my memorable birthdays.

You know every person out there really looks forward for their birthdays to come. It's a day were once a year you could feel special where the world is entitled to give you a day off, or maybe a special pass for the day. But for me? I dread the day of my birthdays. It's like the world cursed me to be the unluckiest on that day. No day off, no special pass, just bad luck.

I get it, you're thinking that I'm overly dramatic. First thing you should know about me beside being all of that, I'm invisible, it's like I don't even exist. Even Google would find a hard time seeing me if I were a thirty-story building in the middle of the desert. And here I am once again, on the day of the year where I will be the unluckiest. I could just isolate myself in my apartment this birthday and completely shut myself off from everyone so that I wouldn't make a fool of myself. Sounds like a good idea, right? Well I have tried that multiple times but failed. It seems like the gods are making every possible way to make my birthday a very active day for me. And by that, I mean, me, outside surrounded by people, completely making a fool out of myself once again.

Some of you may even say that no one is that ugly, and that even myself could find a guy that could love me. I
still have feelings too, I still dream of holding someone's hand, I still want my heart to flutter when a guy talks to me sweetly. But here I am on my eighteenth year of being invisible, still the same, still boring, never been asked out to a date, never been kissed, no prince charming.

I just sighed. "Happy eighteenth birthday Jiyu" I said to myself unconfidently waiting for any bad luck coming my way.

"Hey, pretty princess, wake up!" said a sweet voice to me. And here comes the first ray of back luck shining on my special day.

"Uhm, hello, is anybody there? I believe my parents is not paying you to doze those during work, right?" Lee Sun-hee said smiling coyly while flapping her thick heavy-lidded eyes at me. She likes to be called Sunny, and not by her actual name. just as her name implies, her beauty radiates like the sun and her figure is everyone's dream that strips me every little bit of confidence. We we're classmates in like forever and we used to be friends, but she left to study abroad and came back as a manipulative, bossy, two-faced, high class bish. And basically that's how I ended up working in her family's hotel. It would be fun she said, it could be a way for us to catch up as friends, I would quit but this job granted a scholarship in school. So basically, I'm stuck here until graduation, and so is Sunny.

"I'm sorry ma'am, I just zoned out a bit" I replied, avoiding her snake-like eyes.

"You know, we could've replaced you right?" Sunny started. "But I begged Dad, to let you stay because you're my classmate, so you should do your job right, right?" she slightly pinched my cheek.

"I'm sorry" I replied again. I just wanted her to leave.

"I have been curious," she said "where do you buy your make up, it looks so...you know?" shr madr hand signs tring to remember her next word.

"Just here and there" I replied "Why?"

"Cheap!" she suddenly blurted out joyfully and clapped her hands "That's what it is! But you do pay for them, right?"

I just smiled hiding every bit of annoyance towards her perfect face.

"Alright, it was nice catching up, here you can have it" she handed me a coffee cup.