•Chapter I• Childhood memories

It was around a late autumn evening, the amber leaves fell from the trees and a winter breeze blew in gently and almost rather unnoticed among the streets of Japan.

The young Sakamaki brothers for those who wished to enjoy the weather were outside playing enjoying themselves before the frigid winter nights were soon to appear.

Yet once again, locked away in the dark space of the libary was young Reiji Sakamaki. Forgotten once again and left alone to study.

        In the vampire's young mind he supposed that if he studied hard enough he would gain his mother's praise. But the longing to go jump in the crisp leaves and hear the satisfying crunch of the dead earth underneath his feet was enough to make Reiji envious.

     Reiji sighed softly as he leaned his head against the large window pane and played with the old pages of a chemistry textbook far harder for any child at his age to truly comprehend. As Reiji went to get up from his window sill, the young boy had tripped over an old wooden chest.

This box had a rusted lock on it, it was in the shape of a heart but it was busted open and there was no key in sight. Reiji looked around for any signs of his mother or brothers before cautiously opening up the box and coughing at the dust that flew out of it.

The items that were inside this box were a cracked wine glass, an empty whiskey bottle and an old fashioned book. It was leather cover and strewn together by a three thick leather bands. Reiji would be lying if he had said if he wasn't intrigued by these items.

Gently picking up the book, Reiji blew the dust off the cover and opened up the latch that clipped on to the cover. As the young vampire flipped through the pages he was very disappointed to see that most of them were blank. But when he flipped to the last page, in dark purple ink was written;

     The two lovers tied together by red string, that of which they can only see. Time will bring them together and hatred with sorrow will tear them apart.

Only they can shape what happens after the universe brings them together at the perfect time when the sun and moon collide and the stars connect across the sky.

Young Reiji was so confused but when he had gazed down at his small hand he was immensely taken back by the red string that floated but was tied to his small ring finger.
"What on earth?" The boy breathlessly whispered as he gently touched the rope. Swiftly pulling his hand away, Reiji looked at the string in astonishment.

Did his brothers have this string too or was he finally unique? If he showed his mother would she pay more attention to him now that he had something Shu didn't? Reiji held the book close to his chest then gazed out of the window to see that his string wondered for miles away from his manor.

Soulmate? Is that who was on the other end of his string? Reiji began to wonder who his soulmate was.
Was she a beautiful girl with green eyes and fiery red hair? Or was it a boy with curly and fluffy hair with freckles that dotted across his face like stars in the night? Maybe it was a girl with hair as dark as a raven and eyes as sharp as a knife and as gleaming as silver!

The raven haired vampire's heart began to race with excitement and the fantasies began to become more extraordinary and amazing. Reiji had never felt so happy, it was a different feeling but he enjoyed it so much.

Of course, young Reiji was not aware of what he would go through during his life while he waited for his soulmate to find him. The dreams of marriage and a family were soon washed away with the hardships of reality and growing up.

Even as the dreams disappeared, the red string tied to Reiji had never gone away. Every day, even if it had been  neglected, the string became more red. Until one day, it was completely crimson.

     An eighteen year old Reiji woke up with a jolt and looked around his libary then down at his hand seeing the string as bright as ever.

"Another nightmare.. how troublesome of my own mind.."