Claire.

Across my room from where I am, there's a big glass window with its curtains pulled back to let the natural light in. 

Coming from outside that window was the sound of a van parking and the opening of a big door. I craned my head to look outside, though I couldn't see the vehicle. Shutting my book, I swung my legs over the mattress and walked to the window, putting my hand against my forehead to shield my face from the sunlight radiating down from the clear sky.

It was a moving van. Another truck had just stopped in front of it, with people coming out of both vehicles to help empty the boxes in the van's storage. It seemed like the house was finally being bought.

Mrs. Hall and Mr. Hall had lived there before these new people. They were a kind couple and would invite me over for tea and biscuits to talk. When they passed away, I put a little wrapped box of tea bags and a bouquet of flowers between their two graves. I cried that day. I wasn't even that close to them, but I still cried. 

"Claire! Come out here, will you?" 

My eyes flickered to the voice.

A tall man with dirty blonde hair and a sharp-looking shirt and pants was calling to his daughter, who looked more than tired. She, Claire, lazily climbed out from the back of the car, fixing her blond hair that got partly ruined during the drive.

"Here," the man grunted, handing her a box.

I turned my head after that, knowing I shouldn't be staring at strangers for too long. 

"Lucy, please take Mars out for a walk!" my mother shouted from the living room. 

I exhaled extensively, dropping my arms to my side before turning my whole body around. "Mars!" I shouted, calling for my scattered little dog.

There was a frantic scatter of a dog's nails on the hard wooden floor before I saw a ball of fur hurl itself into my room. He slowed down to a halt before regaining his composure, turning around to face me, his mouth open and tongue lolling out.

I grasped his ruby red leash. He padded over to me, letting my arms wrap around him so his leash could be put on.

Once we were out the door, he acted like he had never seen the outside world before, barking at the neighborhood cats, sniffing every tree and bush he could see.

While walking, I happened to pass the new neighbors. The van was gone now, but the truck still seemed to have a few boxes in them. The garage was open, and the only person outside was the blonde girl, earbuds inside as she listened to music on her phone. Her head bobbed to the beat steadily, tapping her foot every now and then for good measure.

My eyes wandered from the house and across the street where the Jonathan twins were playing soccer. This was a fatal mistake, for I couldn't see Mars turning around to his leash, chewing on the old fabric that joined him to me.

I missed the fact that he had cut himself free with his dog teeth, and I had barely missed the fact that he was running off into the direction of the house. 

Turning around to continue the walk, I realized Mars' escape.

Pulling up his leash into my other hand, I started after him. He was a golden retriever, a little big, but not huge.

"Mars! Mars, come back here!" I shouted, my legs growing tired in the hot pursuit for the troubling dog.

The new neighborhood girl turned her head, catching right of my runaway pet.

A yelp erupted from her mouth as she watched Mars charge.

I reached my arm out, stretching to Mars. There was a ring on the back of his collar, and my fingers barely caught it.

Wrapping my fingers inside, I pulled him to a stop, sliding slightly on the smooth garage floor.

Mars was only a few feet away from the girl. I pulled the dog back, catching my breath.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to let him go," I apologized, my hand over my chest as I breathed desperately.

"Yeah, it's fine," Claire answered, pulling an earbud from her ear. It wasn't reassuring in the slightest bit.

There was an awkward pause before I clicked my tongue, saying, "I'm gonna go now.."

Turning, I jogged away from her and her house, with Mars right by me. He seemed to want to play with the new girl, making it hard for me to drag him away.

"Well that was awkward," I mumbled under my breath as I walked home to change his leash.

I only hoped I wouldn't have to face her again. She didn't seem too friendly.