The Morning

Steam rose from a small glass, fogging the sides as the water from  the air around condensed onto the cup. Then, milk was gently poured into the steaming cream. A metal spoon was dipped into the mix, and swirled around, creating a small vortex in the center, as clinks formed from the spoon clicking into the sides of the glass cup. As a tanned, yet smooth hand picked up a small packet of hot chocolate, and poured it into the steaming mix of cream and milk, the color quickly turned to a deep brown, as the spoon incorporated the powder as the heat dissolved the granules.  

 Once the vortex calmed, the hand reached down and grabbed the glass, flinching from the heat. Connected to the hand, was a scared, equally tanned wrist. Traveling up the arm, as a tall, willowy boy, 17 years old and wearing a grey shirt alongside a pair of long, black, slim track pants. His complexion was evenly tanned, and slightly freckled. His face was smooth and even, if slightly unsymmetrical. His left eye was covered by fallen hair, but his right eye was a reflective gold. His hair was a deep, reflective navy blue that was unkempt, and fell just onto his ears.

Gently, he grabbed his laptop from its charging port, and went to his front door. Pulling down the door handle, he opened the door, and stepped outside into the crisp morning air. He shivered gently as he walked along the concrete patio, and sat down in one of two chairs. Setting the  laptop and hot chocolate on the table, he leaned back for a moment before stretching to grab his laptop and open it. opening his music browser, he played a melancholy song in the background. As he grabbed his cup, he looked over the surroundings. 

His house sat on a hill, that sloped down to the north, or to the left of him presently. It had snowed during the night, about five inches he guessed. his yard wasn't large by any means, but it wasn't small either. It was just right. There was a tasteful sloped brick median carving his yard into two halves. The one closest to the porch was less trimmed then the other side, overgrown with crabgrass. The tree was only barley trimmed, just enough for the branches to not rest of the roof over the patio. The other side was much cleaner, with freshly trimmed grass and a large, well trimmed tree, the outer edges forming an almost perfect circle, with a light dusting of snow resting on top. 

"Dad must have cleaned the tree when he left..." the boy giggled softly, breaking the calming sound of the song. he gently closed his eyes as he listened to the mixed sounds of snow falling from the trees, and the melodic music reaching out from the computer. Slowly, the sound died out, and he opened his eyes slowly. Resting in front of his eyes, was his own face, with his body floating parallel to the ground. Except this face was opaque. 

"It's been a while, Alectra." the being said.

"It has, hasn't it echo?"