Unveiled

The next few months were hit and miss with her. She spent all of her time working to go home and work on Lucy. She spent her days working at her job and her nights working on the car. Her weekends were filled with nothing but Lucy. No one knew where she was or what she was doing. She almost fell off the map entirely.

One day everyone she still considered a friend got a message.

"I know I've pretty much fallen off the face of the earth and haven't spoken to any of you in months and I'm sorry. But I promise you it was for a good reason. I would like all of you to come down to the car show that's being held this sunday. It would mean a great deal to me if you could all attend. If you have other obligations or anything important I completely understand, but if you can make it out it would mean the world to me."

She invited her family, her fiancés family, and just about anyone she could think of that would care.

Sunday morning rolled around and she made the drive out to the car show. She was one of the first to arrive, she wanted to be there before anyone she knew showed up. She made her donation to the charity that the car show was collecting for and she parked. She grabbed the plaque she had made and leaned it gently on the front of the car.

Her family showed up first, followed by a handful of her friends. When they saw her and the car they couldn't believe her eyes. When her fiancés family showed up they were as stunned as the rest. The show began to fill up and people started to mill around. She gathered everyone she invited and they surrounded the car.

"Hi everybody. As you all know my fiancé passed away last year and left me his car, Lucy. I wanted to honour his memory and keep the mopar spirit alive. I never gave up on it, even when I wanted to. My time, my effort, and about all the money I possibly had went to this car. I got all of the rust fixed, cleaned up the interior, and replaced the carpet. I got the vinyl roof redone, body painted a deep midnight purple. Kept the 400 that was in it and got it rebuilt. I worked long days to be able to afford to fix her throughout the night. This is my Lucy, in memory of the love of my life."

There were tears streaming down faces with sorrowful smiles. People applauded, told her what an amazing job she had done, and told her how beautiful it was that she was honoring his memory so beautifully.

She was in love and it never died.