Chapter 1: The Gloomy Day

"Splish, splash, splish, splash." My feet hit the sleet on the concrete floor. The City made chatter and the people that were there all had sweaters and sweatpants on or jackets over their suites and dresses. I'm assuming they were headed to work or out to shop for errands. I glance down at my watch. It read 7:38 A.M.

Oh no, I'm going to be late. I thought to myself. I try my best to quicken my stride. The wind hit my face, leaving my nose to leak mucus and my eyes to tear up. I use the sleeve of my sweater to wipe my eyes and nose. My body shivers from the cold winter air. I put my hands in the pockets of my pants trying to keep them warm, unlike the rest of my body. I look up to see my work building a couple blocks away. The glass windows illuminate from the frosty air. I look up to see the sky. The clouds are a deep gray and no bubbly sun to be seen. Then all of a sudden I see a mysterious white flake fall to the ground. Everyone around started to look up.

It was snowing. All you saw was the white frosted spiderwebbed little flakes fall to the hard, dorian gray concrete. They looked weightless. It couldn't even have weighed more than a half an ounce. Forgetting on where I had to be on a short time schedule, I ignored the snow and carried on to my destination.

Shivering along the way I made it. Opening the door with my ID I hop right inside. Embracing the warmth of the building, I see the receptionist as i walk to the elevator.

"Hi Daffodil!" Suzie says in a cheerful tone.

I giggled. "Hello Suz, why are you so happy, the date?" My eyebrows shoot up.

Her cheeks turned red and she nods. "D, it was amazing!" She moved her hands in a way to show she was excited. "I'll tell you all about it later, go now before you're late."

"All right," I nod my head towards her then I approach the elevator. I look at the buttons and click the up arrow. Waiting for the doors to open I decide to see what new notifications I got. The first popup on my home screen was a text from my mother. I slide the message to see what she said.

"Hey honey! I hope you are doing okay in the City and hopefully it isn't too rainy. Other than that be careful and don't be late! Love mom xoxo." Was written out.

I couldn't help but smile. I replied to her, "Hi mom! The weather isn't too bad but it just started to snow a little before I got in the building. But it is really cold so it isn't that great. But-"

Before I could finish the sentence, the elevator doors opened. I looked up to see who was inside. No one I knew, probably all of them were from different floors. I shimmied my way into the compacted space.

"Floor 6 please." I said in the nicest way possible. A women in the front pressed the button for me. I mouthed thank you and she nodded. I proceed to mush in between two men. Ignoring both of them I continue what I was going to say to my mother.

"Besides that, everything is going to plan. Thank you for checking up on me :). I love youuuu have a great day."

     "You too!!" She responded back quick.

I made eye contact with the man to the left of me. He wore a black suit with a white tie. His hair was a flowy salt and pepper mix. Hmm I wonder what he does. I thought to myself. But I quickly looked away.

"Ding." The elevator stopped.

"Floor 6," A man called out. My floor.

"Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me." I sounded like a broken record. I was just on repeat for days on end. I eventually get my way of the the compressed elevator and my feet hit the carpeted ground. A few of the employees stare at me as I walk to my desk. I overlook it and sit down. A long bored sign comes out of me. I look at my watch, 7:45 A.M.

Hey, I wasn't late. I smile, being proud of myself I turn on the big black computer that is right in front of my face. Getting my stuff ready to start the day, I heard a chair zoom pass.

"Oooo looks like someone got caught in the snow," Matthew said standing up from the chair to touch my hair.

"It isn't that bad right?" I start to worry.

"What do you mean? Your hair looks atrocious!" He looked like he was holding back a laugh.

"Then fix it idiot!"

He laughs. "Okay fine." He starts to gently move my hair around my head. "I should just be your hairstylist."

"Yeah okay, like I'll let you do that." I shake my head but before he goes I finish my sentence. "But thank you Matthew." I smile.

"Anything for you doll," He gives me a smile back and struts to his desk with his chair.

I take out my phone to go to the camera. My mocha hair fell below my chest. The curls that were in before had now been all frizzed up. Damn you snow. I decided to put my hair into a low bun and forget about it while I was here for the majority of the time.

I look at my computer. The picture of the finished piece was on my screen. I've come such a long way for this, now it's my time to shine and show every my real talent. I take a moment and think of an idea.

A surrealism piece? A realist piece? An eye? A portrait? I don't knowwww. All of these thoughts and I still don't want to make any of them.

"Ughhh.' An annoyed sound comes out of me. I'm frustrated and confused. Why can't i just think of something to draw? This is my job, I come up with art. I grab my jacket that I left there from yesterday and my purse. I get up from my seat and start to walk out.

"Hey, hey, where are you going?" Matthew came up to me.

"I'm going out for coffee, wanna come?" I asked him.

"Sure! Just let me just get my scarf." He galloped away to his desk and came back with an autumn wrapping around his neck. "Okay lets go."

"Okay." I clicked the down arrow. Making small talk with Matthew until the elevator doors dinged and there we went.

Hello to whoever is reading this. I hope you're enjoying this book so far and I'm sorry if there are any spelling mistakes. If you're liking this book so far don't forget to vote! You can also give me constructive feedback. Besides that I really hope you are fancying this book and I hope you have a great day/evening/night!