[3] Pilot Chapter 3

Make sure to vote, share and comment for more and leave feedback!

Almost finished Pilot Chapters!
The actual story will be published if you comment on this that you would like that to be an option.

Y/N's POV

I could hardly remember the events of last night until my phone began to buzz yet again. The name 'Kaneki-San♥' that had once brought so much happiness, was now instantly rejected by not only my heart but now directed to voicemail. As the rain slammed against my still open window, my eyes fluttered to a hard mask and the events of last night finally began to become clear.

Kirishima, Ayato.

As my hands harshly traced the design on the front, my brain quickly flickered to the beautiful presence of his face in the moonlight.
Surely he needed this mask to protect his identity, which meant he would be back for it.
Laughing to myself, I made sure to open the window even wider and leave it as I slid down the pole beside it.

My thick overcoat was drenched with the repugnant coldness of the storm ahead, so thick that my skin seemed to be seeping it in more by the second. As I opened the cáfe door, my sneezing began more frequently louder and was noticed by a beautiful attendant that rushed to take my coat.

"Tokua Kirishima, I'm your server today" She grinned, almost taunting me with her warmth as she pulled me into a large hug.

"Tokua, You do realise we've been friends for almost two years. You don't need to tell me you work here" I laughed, happily embracing the girl.

At that moment, something clicked.

I pulled away and nervously smiled, "you know Ayato?". Judging by her startled expression, suddenly misty eyes and the fact she had now violently shoved me into a storage cupboard: she hadn't forgotten her brother.

"What the hell made you bring him up?"

I explained the events of last night and pulled the mask from within the coat she had taken from me, causing my best friend to groan audibly.

"W h y my b r o t h e r?" Tokua angrily groaned, unmetaphorically slamming her head against a wall in frustration.

"He was really sweet, Tokie. But we do need to get in contact with... Kaneki."

My friend instantly shot me daggers. Ever since Kaneki left her for Aogiri, she had vowed never to hear or speak of his cursed name again. I didn't mention the fact he had constantly been calling me as our relationship was forbidden as the Ghoul before me was more against most human and ghoul contact than anyone else. This made me feel special as I was an acceptation, given the fact my adoptive mother was once a half-ghoul herself.

"You do it" she smiled, clearly appealing to my immense love for her to benefit herself. After I agreed, we exited the storage cupboard to receive many dishevelled looks from both Ghoul customers and human visitors.

I had left a while after exchanging coffee recipes and discussing various college topics, completely avoiding any mentions of purple-haired ghouls like the plague.

The rain had subsided, leaving the cloudy skies and sparse crowds daring to venture out into Tokyo weather. The remainder of the day was spent browsing through Library books and venturing home. By the time the night had fallen,
all thoughts of Kaneki and Ayato had been easily subsided to ones about the predicament the world was in.

We could pass any number of Ghouls in our lives, fall in love or even give our lives to save them without knowing they didn't need it.
It was truthfully tragic, humans felt no need to hide their identities from Ghouls but these misunderstood creatures have to plan every action and train for years to pretend to be something they aren't. Humans were seen as undeniable victims, and this other form of us was slaughtered the moment they let their guard down.

Could we ever live in harmony? I bet most of us wish so. The CCG should give prisoners to Ghouls and satisfy their hunger so they can aid us in the future, not cause a war that will devastate all of humankind.

We aren't so different, really. Humans kill humans, Ghouls kill Ghouls. The difference is that when one of the sides cross and murder the other, no matter which way you look at it, they're both defending themselves for survival.

Passing a few couples, my thoughts were immersed in Ghoul fantasies. Could any of these people face certain death for just being with somebody they have devoted everything to? Perhaps they never knew their partner was struggling against their own biological hunger just to be near them, or perhaps one has family in the CCG and one lover has to conceal themselves for eternity.

It's quite beautifully tragic, isn't it?
It sounds as if there should be thousands of romantic novella, films and poetry written about the circumstances. Of course, publishes even daring to consider this would have to face CCG references, sudden interruption, accusations and possibly even sudden death.

Finally turning the key for my apartment, My thoughts had ended.