Chapter 3.

SAM
I watch the cool water of the mercy river run. It's so mesmerizing. So peaceful...unlike everything else in the Outlands. Maybe that's why I like it so much...or maybe it's because it's the only place to get free supplies.
I'm not a River Watcher, there aren't many River Watchers by the abandoned manors. I'm using the supplies for something of my own.

I finally stand, supplies in a burlap sack over my shoulder. I head back toward the tree line, and pass the factory. I go to take a sort left turn...when this girl, who was running at the speed of light, rams right into my left shoulder. I fall on my back, I can hardly breath. But I know this feeling, I've just had the wind nocked out of me. No biggy.

I look to my left and see her. Oh my gosh. The very sight of her made me jump.

I'm now on my feet, just gazing at the girl in the gravel. Then I finally come to my senses and walk up to her.
I kneel down beside her head that I now hold in my hands.

"Are you okay? I say, trying to get a look at her eyes. She finally opens them with groan.

"That hurt..." She says back to me. I can't help but laugh at this.

"Ha yeah, I bet it did." I say, her head still in my hands. She opens her eyes wide now, and stands...brushing gravel of her face and jacket. I stand too, now getting a good look at her.
Wow....

Hazel eyes, beautiful hazel eyes...long dark blond hair thrown into a braid. Absolutely gorgeous...breathtaking.
So, I introduce myself, "I'm Sam. Sorry about that."

She stands alert now, flicks a price of gravel off her shoulder, and speaks. "I'm Brynn, And that was my fualt." She ends with a slight giggle...then holds her head in her hand and groans.

"Ow..." She says again. She must have really hit ground hard. Then it starts burning inside of me...but do I dare ask? Before I can think about it further, the word bubble up from my throat and out my mouth.

"Why were you running?" I say. A look of shock is gradually appearing on her face. Then she barely gets out the word, "...work..."

"What?" I say.

"Work!" She screams. "I gotta get to work!" Then she takes off running again.

Quite the character that Brynn.