Ice Cream Day

It was early in the morning, and I heard the steps of someone who was in a rush to get up stairs slowly get closer, and closer to my door. The steps get closer until finally the door flies open with a little blonde girl with a sparkle in her eyes giggling "Daddy, daddy are we still going out for ice cream today." Her grin going ear to ear in anticipation of my answer.
"Yes, Emily we are still getting ice cream as long as you did as I asked." The look of excitement seemed to be radiating off of her.
" I did I fed the dogs I walked them I made my bed. I did. I did please hurry up and get ready daddy please.
"Okay, okay honey you still need to breath remember that. We can't have you dying before we get you your ice cream.

With that I got up, and got ready. While I was showering I could hear Emily sit at the door waiting for me to finish, so I figured it'd be best to make my shower a bit longer than usual. After twenty or so minutes I finally decided to turn off the water, and decided to stop teasing her. Moments after the water turned off I heard a slight gasp along with footsteps running out of my room.
After I got ready I left my shower, and saw my daughter patiently waiting at the kitchen counter. "Are you ready, daddy?  I grabbed my keys, and opened the front door for her. She ran out the door ahead of me opening the front door and climbing into the passenger seat. I hadn't even gotten in the car, before she had her seat belt on.
Emily, and I sang to her music as we headed down the road, and it made me happy that I was able to take her out today. While I was lost in thought, Emily poked me on the cheek, and I looked over to see her big brown eyes along with a smile, before I looked back at the road, and she said. "Daddy we are almost there what kind of ice cream are you going to get, huh." When I shrugged at her I heard her laugh. "Well you could get chocolate, or strawberry. Those are really good. I chuckled to myself knowing my own daughter was trying to punk me for two Ice creams by naming her top two.
" I might get strawberry, but I'm not sharing with you, Emily."
I glanced over to see her have a small frown on her face, before she said " I don’t even want that kind dad." After a few minutes of her mumbling to herself she saw the park, and her eyes lit up. She didn’t say much, but I heard a slight squeal as we pulled in.

After I had parked the car Emily quickly hopped out of the car running to the drivers side. I walked over to her locking the doors behind me. She took my hand and started to attempt to drag me over to the ice cream vendor. As we got closer I noticed a man stumbling around, and making a fool of himself. I didn't pay him much mind as I wanted to just get my daughter some ice cream. We walked over to the vendor, in which my daughter scanned the names of the ice cream intensively even though she always only gets chocolate or strawberry. A few seconds of her pondering she tells the man. "One large chocolate ice cream cone, please.
I laughed and pulled her back behind my arm.
"Honey, you've never once finished a large." I redirected my attention to the man could she please get a small chocolate come I'm sorry about that. The man simply laughed as if he got that a lot." Also can I get a medium strawberry cone. The man nodded his head.
"Sir, that'd be five dollars please." I pulled out my wallet giving him the money.
After wishing him a good day I started to walk with my daughter around the park when I heard the drunk man say "Hey could you spare me fifteen dollars?" I declined his offer, but the man began to scream profanities at me, and my daughter. Then he pissed me off.
I yelled to the ice cream vendor . "Hey, would you mind calling the cops he nodded, and pulled out his phone.
The man continued to get more, and more hostile, and began to approach me I put my daughter behind my back as he screamed. "Why are you calling the cops, huh? You afraid to settle this like men, huh? After he got too close for comfort, and laid his hand on my shoulder I slammed the cone in my hand, and tripped out his legs. Dazed the man stayed on the ground with ice cream running down from his nose to the clothes he wore.

The cops arrived shortly after taking our statements, and putting the man under arrest.

Shortly after the police let us go, and on our way back to the car I said " Sorry, Emily I guess you didn't get your strawberry ice cream.
She looked up at me giggling "Dad, I told you I didn't want strawberry. " Her grin going ear to ear. "Hey, dad how'd you do that cool thing where you tripped him? I want to learn that. That's really cool will you teach me?"

I laughed as I pulled her in tight. "Maybe when you are a bit older." I grinned.