Connor 1

Saturday/Last Night

I look in the mirror for the billionth time. My hair looks slightly styled, decent clothing, and face of a scared, lost puppy. 

No, this is not my first party. Yet it feels like it. Part of me wants to stay home and apologize to Victoria tomorrow. But, I'm officially a graduated senior and I'm basically obligated to go to a last party. 

I look in the mirror again and try to smile. It looks like I just committed a felony and I'm trying to seem innocent. 

"Fuck," I mumble to myself.

Checking the time, I'm already incredibly late, like even later than you're supposed to be. I shake my head and go outside. My parents are out for the weekend which means I have no car to drive. I live less than a mile away from Chelsea's so walkings not too bad. Hopefully my hair, the only thing that looks good, doesn't get severely destroyed on the way. 

I arrive within about half an hour. The party looks to be in full motion by now. My heart rate accelerates like a rollercoaster and I turn around to leave. But then, I force myself to walk in. I walk like I'm definitely in the wrong place and I can tell from other people's faces that they're thinking the same thing. 

Then, my guardian angel, I see Victoria. I practically run to her. Well, not practically. I actually do. 

I hug her, "Thank god, I was about to bolt."

She drunkenly smiles at me, "You look like you just got here."

Again, I look around at the other partygoers, "Exactly."

She lightly rolls her eyes at me, "Well, you've gotta catch up."

And she pulls my arm into the kitchen. She fills up a cup with whatever beer is being supplied here and offers it to me. I shake my head.

"What, you don't like beer?" 

I wave her off, "Not the shitty stuff Chelsea would get."

I push forward and find a bottle of fruity rum. I pour three shots of it into a cup and fill up the rest with some kind of soft drink. I move it around to mix and take a sip.

Victoria laughs but it sounds like a girlish giggle, "Do you need to be so fancy?"

"Hey, if I'm ever going to be comfortable here, I'm going to need something that works and actually tastes good."

She puts her hands up in defense, "Okay fine, do you."

This guy from school joins us. Victoria and him know each other. She introduces us. His name is Luke and he's very cute. I smile awkwardly at him, but he's friendly still. 

"Is this your first party?" He asks me.

I duck my head, "Not exactly, why? Do I look that obvious?"

He laughs politely, "Well, you kinda look like a squirrel caught in the road, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen you at any of the parties I've been to."

Victoria seems pretty out-of-it, or bored, looking around constantly. I hang onto every word he says. I find out he plays basketball and is arguably one of the best on the team in high school. He's also a junior, so he's got a few weeks left of school and then senior year. He's a friendly, hot, and innocent jock who most likely has a longtime girlfriend that he'll eventually marry and grow old with. And me, I'm out of my element here. 

Halfway through talking, his drink spills all over me. I stand in shock and don't say a word.

Luke puts his hands over his mouth as if he accidentally hit a deer with his car,