Chapter 12

So if you have a minute, why don't we go talk about it somewhere only we know? This could be the end of everything, so why don't we go somewhere only we know?" Brick was belting out his favorite song while playing the piano in the theater. Beyond the stage were the students at his school, eagerly watching his performance, and in the first row sat the ten "unbiased students" (six of whom were screaming girls fawning over him, and four of whom were guys secretly jealous of him) who were to judge his performance.

Before him, Princess had performed, and she'd modeled her own clothing designs or something, and hell, Brick didn't know why anyone would want to be caught dead in anything like that. She looked like she was wearing potato sacks. A performance like that wouldn't be hard to beat.

So as Brick sang and played, he was confident that he was going to win. And his confidence could be heard in his voice and piano-playing, which made his performance all the better. His clear, strong voice rang out with such passion that he earned a standing ovation. With his customary smug look, he bowed and walked off stage. He passed Blossom, who was going to perform her own dance routine. Brick's smug expression earned him a look of contempt from the redhead, but Brick could care less right now– he was enjoying the standing ovation too much.

"Hey," Brick whispered to Bubbles backstage. "So?"

"You were amazing!" she praised. "You know, I would've never imagined you such a great singer. I guess it's all thanks to your great teacher, huh?"

"All thanks to my great teacher," Brick repeated, only half-jokingly. "Oh hey, yours went great, too!"

"Really, you think so? You think the judges liked it?" Bubbles asked. "I was so afraid the pasta was a little bit overcooked. And did the sauce have enough flavor? And I don't think I put enough wine in the tiramisu–"

"Calm down," Brick said, clamping his hand over her mouth. "The food was amazing. I mean it– it looked amazing, it smelled amazing, it tasted- it tasted more than amazing, okay? So when I let go, you're going take a deep breath and congratulate yourself, because if you're not picked as a finalist, then I will have to completely redefine my idea of a five-star meal."

Brick slowly retracted his hand, and when Bubbles didn't continue her rant, he wrapped his arm around her shoulders and gave her a friendly hug. She twisted around and wrapped her arms around his shoulders, about to whisper something, when Lloyd ran up to them. Brick and Bubbles awkwardly pulled out of their hug, as Brick stuffed his hands into his pockets and Bubbles turned away and crossed her arms.

"Oh, uh, well this is...kinda," Lloyd mumbled after realizing what had been going on.

Floyd ran in, and completely unaware of the situation, said with a mocking swoon, "Oh Brick, serenade me with your beautiful voice, will you?"

"The only thing serenading you, Floyd, will be my fist," Brick growled.

"Okay tough guy, but we all know deep inside, you're just a softie with a beautiful voice," Floyd said, patting Brick's head. "Seriously though, the ladies are screaming for you outside. Let's go."

"But I don't- I don't want to–" Brick protested uselessly as Floyd pulled him away.

"Um, hey Brick," Bubbles called after him.

"Yeah?"

"Um, thanks. And I'll see you in the next round?"

"Count on it."

–––

"Hey, what're you doing out here?" Lloyd approached Brick on the track field the next day during lunch.