VII

✦♥︎✦

✦♥︎✦

Arabella entered the betting den inside the Shelby house. She had been informed she would be working there by John, along with at the pub. She was beyond fine with helping Polly run the den, getting along well with the woman.

She looked around all the busy men, running in to place bets. This was actually her first time in the betting den, she didn't really know what to do in there. 

John noticed his wife looking lost. He knew she didn't understand the racetracks, she'd told him that at home the day before. He chuckled slightly at her state before dropping the books on the table. He jumped down the stairs, coming up behind her before picking her up slightly by the waist. 

Arabella could've nearly killed John for what he had done, creeping up on her like that. She swiftly kicked him between the legs before hearing a groan. She turned quickly before noticing her husband. "Oh shit, John Am sorry." She apologised regrettably. "A didn't know it were you."

John waved a hand to her. "It- it's fine." He breathed, wincing slightly as he stood back up. "Good to know ya can defend yaself, but fuckin' hell. Didn't expect ya to kick like a horse." Arabella laughed slightly, kissing him softly. 

"Ya'll be fine later." She whispered into his ear, kissing his jaw seductively. John cleared his throat, shuddering slightly at the contact. She smiled, proud of his reaction.

"I came to get ya. Ya seemed lost." John brushed off the feeling he had growing him, knowing it wasn't the time. Arabella scratched the back of her neck sheepishly. "Come on, Aunt Pol'll explain the ropes to ya." Arabella nodded, following John into the back room, more commonly known as the meeting room. 

There Polly turned, cigarette in hand. Her face brightened slightly at the sight of Arabella. "Right, Bella. Let's teach ya the trick o' the trade." She joked before pulling the girl away from her husband.

✦♥︎✦

The hours passed quickly for Arabella. She shadowed Polly throughout the day, learning the ropes of the betting shop. Arabella got along with Polly very well, like she was a mother figure to her - one that didn't hate her. 

Polly had insisted that the girls join the men in the Garrison, as it was Arabella's night off at the pub. Arabella didn't refuse and the two women found themselves heading towards the Garrison. Entering the pub, the pair were met with short glances of the usuals before they joined the men in the back. They raised their pints to the girls as Polly sat down. Arabella however, was pulled onto John's lap by himself.

She laughed at his affection. He had been a lot more cheerful since the exit of his father, Arthur Shelby Sr, ignoring the fact that his oldest brother had tried to commit suicide the same day of his leaving. 

"Ara, we heard about what ya did." Arthur said anonymously, sending her nerves on edge. Nobody in the Shelby family knew about why she had to be married off...not yet. "John got taken down by his wife." He laughed.