Stutter

The silence grew impatient in my class once the teacher called out my name. Everything stopped just to watch the failure of language.

“Hello…Stutter, are you going to say something?” she asked.

“Uh----wh—at you say Ms. Jail?” I said

“Stutter, what is the equation for PT?” she asked patiently.

“Uh----it’s…a2 +b2 = c…c2.” I said forcefully

   Before I continue with my stuttering, I might as well tell you this whole stuttering thing happened, let’s rewind to day one of my speaking career. Like every other young kid learning how to speak, I began, by learning from their parents or people around them. By mocking them or listening how they talk. But as for me…I wasn’t the freshest carrot in the crop. In other words I was a slow learner. When I was about 2 years old I was learning how to speak with actual sentences and not part of words. Unlike an average 2 year old, who learns that at their late 1’s and early 2’s. And then when I was 7 years old, I learned that this whole stuttering isn’t a phase- it’s a going to be a lifestyle for me.

  I remember my parents talking to me about where they wanted to go on vacation….

  “Stutter! Hey Sweetie, can you come down here to the dinner table please?” my mom called out

  “Ca-ca-ca-ca coming, ma-ma-ma-mom.” I managed to respond

  “Okay sweetie!” my dad said

 “I…i…I’m here da-da-dad.” I said

  “Okay sweetie, I have to tell you something. Dad and I decided to take you to Denver, Colorado because they have a good speech program there. They can see if you have a stuttering problem or if you have some other speech issue.” She smiled kindly at me.

“Ohh…okay maaa…Mom.”

“We’re leaving on Monday, October 3rd 2004.” She informed me.

“Ohh…okay maaa…Mom.”

Well, after that whole ordeal of traveling to Denver, they realized that I have something called a speech impediment. And this speech impediment is called stuttering. The doctors told me that stuttering is a variable disorder, which means that it comes once in a while and there’s nothing that I can do to control it.

Ever since I went to Denver my stuttering problem has gotten a little bit bad. There were a few experiences that I would like to tell you about, if you want to hear. Then of course you don’t really have a choice on what you get to hear and what you don’t get to hear.

 The first experience is when I was about 10 years old and I was at school. Ms. Hilka told us that we would present our favorite country in class. I thought to myself OHMG I don’t want to do this. Fast forward two weeks when the evil ruthless Ms. Hilka tell us it’s the day of class presentations.

“Okay, this is the order of presentations,” she said. “First of all, I want Jag.”

Well, jag presented on the country called Spain and it was really good. Because he brought some food from Spain and he brought artifacts from Spain and everything. But then it was my turn….

“Stutter…I believe it’s your turn sweetie to come and present on your favorite country.” She said politely

When I heard my name from that ruthless human being called Ms. Hilka. I felt this chill down my spine. And I decided to mutter out these words…”Ms. Hilka can I ca-ca-go third please.” I said forecfully

“Stutter no you can’t go third. I called you up to present next so you’re presenting next. No ifs and or buts.” Ms. Jail said ruthlessly

“Oka-y Ms. Jai-…l.” I said sadly