October 6, 2018

I always told myself, It'll never happen to me. I always said that to myself when I saw the news after a major hurricane would hit  somewhere in the gulf of mexico. But then one day it happened, the news didn't lie( for once).  A category 5 hurricane was destined to hit my home of Panama City Beach, Florida on October 8, 2018.

I'll start with when I first heard the news, which was probably about a week or two before it hit. I was in my room doing homework when my mom told me about another hurricane that was supposed to hit us. Oh well, I thought to myself and then I just went about my day. Well a week later I hear the words pack your stuff and be ready to leave.

Okay this must be a drill I thought so I get my stuff ready. Then it happened the county had three days to evacuate if not we were left behind. On  October 7, 2018 at exactly nine o' clock we hit the road and headed to Hattiesburg, Mississippi. we arrived in Mississippi about the time that hurricane Michael made landfall. It was probably one of the scariest moments of entire life.

The next morning I turned on the news after we had been checked into the hotel and I nearly cried after seeing how bad the damage was. The hurricane had only been over land for about half a day and was destroying everything in its path. We had to stay in Mississippi for about a week and a half before it was safe to go home. 

After we went home we didn't have clean water for almost a month and we couldn't take a shower for almost 2 days. We didn't have internet for nearly 2 months and we had to clean up our yards every day for almost a month. It was hard not to question life's meaning through all this turmoil but because I was praying and helping others and going to church it was a lot more easier to get through the hard times.

We had sold our house about a week before the hurricane hit but we weren't able to move until about late November of 2018. It was hard to get through seeing so many people hurting and dying and having lost family members. It just made me feel so much better to be able to help them almost every day.