Chapter 5

Who is he?

The next day I had my lunch all alone. I stood up to wash my dishes. From my window I saw Ash running towards the clearing. I laughed. A wicked idea of making him wait for me came to my mind. But I dropped it quickly. I went upstairs to put on my sweatshirt and headed towards the clearing. He was waiting there for me, striding impatiently. As he saw me he came and hugged me, "Ash I... can't......breathe....." he laughed and released me. "I am sorry. Yesterday someone extremely special called me. He is coming in three days to meet me. I was so excited that I went away to buy a gift for him. I just forgot to inform you. Apologies accepted?" I thought for a moment, and then I replied, "Only if you beat me in the race." I started running at the full of my speed and he chased me. Just then it started pouring heavily. We ignored the rain and continued running. Suddenly something happened and soon I realized that I was no more running. I was covered in mud and my leg had a burst of pain. I heard Ash roaring into a laugh behind me. "Pick me up or I will kill you, Ash." He helped me to get up. My clothes were all full of mud. Ash had a strong hold around me as I limped towards my home. Suddenly horrified, I realized that in a hurry to come here I just forgot to bring my keys. Mom will be coming home late today. "Ash, I forgot to bring my keys." I said extremely unhappy with the dirty clothes around me. "Here take my keys. I am coming in a few minutes." I thought for a moment and then nodded. I limped through the next block and opened his door. I went to his room and removed my clothes. I wrapped a fresh towel which was kept in his cupboard. I opened the bathroom door. Someone was sitting inside the bathtub. I screamed on the top of my lungs. He also screamed seeing me. I closed the door and locked it from outside. I heard a knock on the door. "Jess it is me Ash, why are you screaming?" I leaned from the door. He had a fresh pair jeans and a t – shirt for me. I grabbed it and quickly wore it. He came inside the room. The person who was in the bathtub was now banging the door loudly. "Who the hell is there?" I clutched his hand tightly. "I went to your bathroom and someone was inside the bathtub. I screamed and locked the door from outside. Please check in Ash." Ash moved forward and slowly unlocked the door. There came out a figure in towel with black hair, height the same of Ash and blue eyes. I almost thought that Ash is going to punch him or something. But he hugged him and shouted "Eve!" Like seriously; this Eve was just too much. I had a feeling of hatred for him from the moment I heard his name, disgusting. I snatched the key of my house from his hand and walked out towards my home. I realized that Ash mysteriously had bought the keys of my house and pair of my clothes for me. But I allowed the thought to pass on from my mind. I was infuriated right now and had nothing to think except about this Eve. Who the hell was he? He sneaked through Ash's house and landed into his bathroom and instead of yelling at him he just gave him a tight hug. I wanted the answer now and I couldn't wait for it. Tonight he would be coming for dinner; I will talk to him then. I called J and Al and invited them at my place. I narrated them the whole incident. They were bursting in a laugh at the end of my story. "You saw a guy in a bathtub and Ash hugged him." Al said chuckling. "Jess, do you love Ash?" asked J seriously. "No. I am just furious that he should inform me before sending me to his room. It is really disgusting." I was infuriated even when Al and J left. The most disgusting thing was that Ash did not even call me after that. I waited for him that night. But he did not come. "He must be busy today or something, Jess. Don't be so hard on him." Mom said. I went to my balcony to see what was happening at his place. It was looking like no one was inside. Suddenly a speeding car came. Ash and 'Eve' were sitting inside the convertible. They both had beer bottles in their hand. I was again in a hyper state. He did not inform me before partying out with his friend or whoever he was. And one minute, Ash hated parties. So why did he even go there? I saw that Ash looked at my balcony and noticed me. He waved me but I went inside. I tried to relax my mind. I decided that Ash was my best friend and he had the full right to say his part. So I patiently waited for his call. And my phone buzzed. "Hello, Jess?" he said. I replied to him, "Quickly justify your part, Ash." I heard him laughing on the other side, "Jess you would never imagine who is here. He is my brother, Steven Carter. I call him Eve. He was out in Europe as I said before. He said that he was coming after three days but he surprised me and came today." I took everything inside. Steven was his brother, the only one with whom he was connected after his parents were divorced. It was quite obvious for him to behave that way. "So, Jess is my apology accepted?" I took no time to reply, "Of course silly. Enjoy with your brother. Can we meet tomorrow then in the school? And will your brother wake you up?" he paused then replied, "Jess you are the best 'best friend' anyone can get. We will meet at front of your house. And my brother will wake me up. Okay?" I could not say no to him. "Okay Ash, bye." The next day I woke up and got ready to go. As I came out I saw a convertible standing in front of my house. The Carters were arguing on something. "Oh! What happened, the two inseparable pieces are fighting today? Your brotherhood has vanished in thin air?" I asked, surprised. Steven spoke, "Oh, here is our guest of honor. Madame the fight is because of you." I was already annoyed with Steven. "Excuse me?" I said. He gave me a horny look, "my half mental brother wants to go to school walking, even after having this superb convertible, just because his girlfriend, the most annoying Jessica, loves to walk." I wanted to punch him, "First of all I am not his girlfriend. And you are a total idiot if you want to drive, in Port Anna. So, I am having a walk to the school. Ash you enjoy with him." As I turned around I realized that I had a sprain in my leg from yesterday's race in the clearing. I squealed in pain. "Jess you had hurt your leg yesterday. You can't walk to school. Hop in the car." The idiot was giving a wicked grin. I had to accompany them. When we reached school I went to sit near my friends ignoring the brothers.