A li(f)e I left behind

SISKO'S POV

Captain's log, stardate 2372.

Since a few months Bajor has been hit by a mysterious plague. The Starfleet sent a scientist. She is in charge of leading the research and helping the scientists of Bajor to find a cure. I still haven't got the chance to meet this new scientist, I only know, she is a young Trill. Her name is Nozria Bix. She should arrive at the station by midday.

Sisko was lost in his thoughts while he was observing the vast darkness out of his window. It was the space. His dear old space.

There was never a moment of boredom in the station, because new people came and other people left. Therefore, he didn't have time to get bored, sometimes he didn't even have time to think about himself. His life was so chaotic, surprising and so exciting. He would not have changed this life for anything in the world.

Sisko's deep thoughts were interrupted by the click of the door, someone had entered his office: it was his old friend, Jadzia Dax.

In his opinion, Jadzia would be the most appropriate person to welcome their new guest. Because they were both Trills, so they would understand each other. Maybe his idea was a little simplistic and banal but every Trill was different from the other, especially when the mentioned Trill possessed a symbiont. It was always a surprise, so maybe he was the one who needed support.

Jadzia came in Sisko's office, nodding, "Did you want to see me, Benjamin?" Jadzia asked in her usual professional tone, her hands behind her back, her eyes always vigilant and curious.

"Yes, we have to welcome a new crew member. It's a trill, you know?" he said, grabbing his baseball, and playing with it.

"Ah, interesting. So you've thought I could be the ideal guide for her, right? I supposed Major Kira would be the most appropriate guide since, it seems, this new officer will work on Bajor. For Bajor." Dax replied, raising her eyebrow, her tone was calm, but it was a very human thing to feel safe around their same species so, thanks to her vast experience, she was able to understand why the Captain had formulated this particular thought.

Jadzia started observing the baseball in the Captain's hands, how he was playing with it.

Like every human being, even Sisko was unable to hold his hands steady, as opposed to Jadzia, she always appeared calm and resolute even in front of the most dangerous monsters.

Sisko launched his baseball from his left hand to his right hand, and then observed his friend. "Kira is busy now, then you are the only Trill here, well, not anymore, but then she will know that she's not alone. Her name is Nozria Bix, she is a doctor, she was chosen for a project at Bajor, she seems capable and it's good to have another doctor, the medical staff is never enough." he said, putting down his baseball and then he stood up, adjusting his uniform.

"How can she be alone in a station populated by more than one thousand inhabitants?" Dax commented, and then she followed the Captain out of the door.

"Well, you know what I mean, meeting another Trill could make her feel like home." He said and then he headed to the dock where Nozria's runabout would land.

NOZRIA BIX'S POV

The runabout sailed in the space of DS9, ready to reach the dock and land.

It had been a long, tedious and untroubled journey. After all, Nozria was used to these long journeys, this was her job, and space was so familiar to her by now, as if the galaxy itself was her office, her working place.