Prologue

December 27th, 2011.

The sharp smell of hospital antiseptics caused her eyes to water. She kept staring at the white ceiling, willing the whir and beeps of various machines that checked her vitals to the background.

“Mrs. Adeshina Michael” A female voice called.
She heard her name but would not answer. She did not want to be pulled to back reality in the busy hospital.

“Ma, you have to answer me” The lady persisted. Her voice bellowed a gentle insistence. 

“Bisola, please” The woman said more forcefully.
Bisola needed her peace and only her answer would send the woman away. She turned sideways on the hospital bed to face the woman that had become a thorn in her flesh. The woman wore a navy blazer over a black gown and her hair was packed so tight into a ponytail that Bisola was sure the woman’s edges felt more pain than she did at the moment.

“Before he left,” Bisola minced as she said ‘left’, he was taken.  The woman ignored Bisola and continued, “Mr. Michael said you should have this,”

Patricia, the family lawyer handed a brown leather bound journal to her. Bisola assessed it with her eyes and turned to the other side. Patricia flung the journal on the bed, the clank of her heels receded until Bisola heard the door close.

Finally, she let the burning tears slide down her eyes and into the already soaked white pillow. A few moments later, she picked the journal; it was worn out and frayed at the edges. She pulled the magnetic lock with the care of an archeologist on an ancient treasure.

©Mirya Adams, 2019.