Idea (pt 1)

1448 words, Human AU

Howdy POV

Why did I ever think of this.

I knew this was a bad idea from the start. Yet Bijou and the others just had to convince me to get myself into this mess. Even as I stood in front of the doors of the glasses shop the regret of what I was about to do wouldn't stop seeping into my mind. I couldn't move, my whole body froze before I could even reach out for the handle. It wasn't until I felt a light tap of my shoulder when I snapped back to reality.

"Excuse me." An elderly woman stood in front of me, trying to enter the building.

"S-sorry ma'am." My face turned red as I stepped to the side, allowing her to enter the store. I quickly walked over to the window, gazing into my reflection. I stared back at myself for what seemed like ages, trying to calm myself down and prepare for the absolute disaster that may or may not be in my future.

"You can do this... you've talked to him plenty of times before... how can this be any different?" My brain spun with a thousand thoughts. I kept looking back into my own reflection, steadying my breath in an attempt to get rid of all the weird, negative ideas in my mind.

I eventually let out a deep sigh and closed my eyes. "You can do this..." I repeated once again before wiping my hands on my apron and walking back to the door. I paused yet again before reaching for the handle, but forced myself to enter. I had to get this done, no matter how much it could suck.

The familiar sound of the motion sensor bell rang in my ears as the street noise from outside turned into soft classical music. I peered around the store; thankfully the place was pretty much empty, even the woman I had embarrassed myself in front of earlier had left (how long was I standing outside for again?). All that was left was the tall, silver-haired boy standing behind the counter, and (un)luckily that was just who I was here to see.

"H-howdy Dex!" I loudly blurted out as I walked up to the counter, completely forgetting what an "indoor voice" was.

"Jeez! Howdy, you scared me!" The boy shook and dropped his book onto the ground, a loud thud echoing throughout the shop.

"S-Sorry! I didn't mean to scare ya." I nervously chuckled and lowered my voice a little. "What's up?"

Dexter adjusted his glasses and looked at me. "What does it look like I'm doing? I'm working."

"Looks like you were reading to me."

"Shut up. It's been a slow day." Dexter frowned, not appreciating my comment. "What do you want?"

"Nothin' much, it's a slow day over at the shop too, so I just wanted to swing by and chat." I smiled.

"Mmhm..." Dexter picked his book back up and started flipping through the pages. "This is the first time you've come over here during work hours in a while... Are you sure you're just here to chat?"

Crap, he can see right through me.

"W-what? Is it so weird of me to wanna come have a chat and share some jokes with my bud?" My confidence turned to nervousness as I looked down at my hands.

"So you're here to tell me some more of your horrible jokes?" Dexter sighed. "I'd rather not hear any of those."

I bit my lip and paused for a moment, noticing the sweat beginning to form on the palms of my hands.

"Actually, I don't have any jokes for you today..."

Now this caught his attention.

"What? You always have some kinda joke for me." He remarked, looking a bit worried.