AbleWorld- Trick Or Treating

He'd never been too interested in candy or Halloween.

Well, he was also, like, 3.

This year, though, all his friends were going and he was desperate to go with them.

Only one problem. He couldn't walk; he'd been paralyzed from the waist down since last year. His mother worried that he wouldn't be able to go to any houses with stairs. When he asked to go with his friends, she hesitated.

But his father just told them to give it a few days, and he disappeared into his workshop.

The night of Halloween came, and the father finally came out of his workshop. He held up a bunch of blue fabric.

"Well, son, do you want to try it on?"

The boy nodded rapidly in excitement, and the two went into another room.

The mother waited anxiously. She worried that if her husband's project didn't work- whatever it did- her son would be heartbroken.

Then the two walked out. Both of them.

The boy was wobbly, but he could walk. The father stood proudly by as the mother hugged them both tightly.

He had worked hard to think of a costume that would look like a costume, but also support his son's legs and give him control over them. A superhero seemed to fit the bill.

He designed the costume to have some sort of stiff inside layer for the legs and up the back for strength, broken in the middle of each leg so he could bend his knees, and softer along the rest of the body. Then he carefully wired joints into the knees and feet of the costume, and connected them to the hands. That way his son could make the legs of his costume walk and they'd just take him along.

It was inevitable that it would be really hard and feel really strange- can't actually feel what's happening- but at least he could go trick-or-treating.

"Now," The father began. "We'll be coming with you and we'll only stay until dark, okay?"

The boy nodded in delight. He was 4; dark was already way past his bedtime!

And so they went trick-or-treating. And that boy had the coolest costume!