HENRY (6)

3

30 May 1997

112 call: Christiana Hawkins, 282 Kensington Street

Operator: 112, what's your emergency?

Hawkins: MY HOUSE IS SHAKING– (static)

Operator: Your house is... shaking?

Hawkins: ...(static)... There's a boy outside...

Operator: Hold on, milady, you said your house was shaking–?

Hawkins: Yes. My house was shaking... and I was standing next to the windows in my living room. And the next thing I knew... my windows completely shattered (static).

Operator: Your windows just... shattered?

Hawkins: Yes.

Operator: And you said you saw a boy. Did he throw something at your windows–?

Hawkins: (inaudible) I hear sirens... oh, blimey... oh, blimey... (static)

Operator: What's happening?

Hawkins: (frightened) I have to put the phone down...

Operator: Stay with me–!

Hawkins: OH, NO! OH, DEAR...!

(Mrs. Hawkins, age 23, disconnected for reasons unknown. She was later found on Bloomsbury Street, three blocks away, with a broken foot. She was one of the many dozens who were injured in the prom night tragedy.)

112 call: Becki Morris, Rocket Union Jack employee, Gardens Boulevard

Operator: 112?

Morris: Yes. I'm at the Rocket Union Jack CD & DVD store on Gardens Boulevard, and we... have people down.

Operator: What? You said... you have people down?

Morris: Yeah. They... (inaudible) Oh, blimey, they just, like, collapsed.

Operator: How many people have collapsed?

Morris: I don't know – like fifteen or something?

Operator: All right, we're sending paramedics over.

Morris: It's a huge mess over here. (static) We've got a major situation, you've got to hurry! There are kids crying for their mums and one man isn't moving–!

Operator: I'm... I'm doing everything I can, miss, you've got to stay calm!

Morris: My manager is on the floor as well... oh, blimey (sobs)... a few of them are moving...

Operator: Do you know how they collapsed?

Morris: (frantic tone) Uh... I thought (sobs) it was a gas leak or something... but I didn't smell any gas – and the next thing I knew, it was like every customer in the store was having a seizure!

Operator: What's your name, sweetie?

Morris: ...(crying)... My name is Becki... I'm so scared!

Operator: Becki, where are you now?

Morris: I'm – right outside of the Rocket Store (inaudible)

Operator: Are there other employees inside?

Morris: Yeah, like, two... (pause)