Chapter 12 - The Haunted Mansion

"Pass me the ketchup, Kyle," Jackson asked while placing his 5th pizza slice on his plate.

"Heads up!" He chucked the bottle at him which he effortlessly caught. Perks of being in the college basketball team, I guess.

"By the way, why didn't you come to see our match today?" Kyle turned to Elizabeth.

"Lucas wanted help with his assignment so I stayed back."

I sipped on my coke, "oh Lizzy, you're too nice."

She rolled her eyes, "you're the one to talk."

Jackson suddenly choked on his drink, "isn't this the same Lucas who asked you out last semester?"

I continued, "the same Lucas she rejected."

"Oh, do I smell some hot tea?" Kyle sang while wiping the corner of his lips with a tissue.

We all broke out into a burst of huge laughter, disturbing everyone around us.

Here we are, sitting in the 'Pizza Hut' near our college, hanging out after class. Every time we had something after class like a match or extra lessons, we'd come here to eat together. The staff personally knew us now. We've become regular customers.

Elizabeth picked up her bag, "I should leave now."

"Do you need me to accompany you?" Jackson asked out of concern.

"No, I think I'm good."

But before she could leave, Kyle interrupted. "Jack's right. The sun's already set and it's pretty dark outside. You shouldn't walk the streets alone considering the kind of cases the news has been telling us about lately."

All of us nodded our heads in agreement, "besides, I don't feel like going home tonight so I could drop you off at yours." Kyle offered.

Elizabeth smiled, looked down and nodded her head, "if you say so."

I looked at Kyle, "again? Where are you going to go this time?"

He forced a smile, "just getting to wander around."

"Kyle, you can't ke-"

"Don't worry, Jennie. I'll be fine." He turned to Jackson, "don't mind if I crash at your place in the middle of the night."

Jackson smiled and showed a 'thumbs up' in approval. Kyle and Jackson did the secret handshake that they've been doing since high school. He then looked at me and leaned in to lightly peck my cheek, "don't think too much about it."

"Let's go, Beth!" He grabbed onto her arm and pulled her along. "Y-Yeah," she waved to us before exiting the place.

I watched them leave till their figures disappeared in the distance. I felt an arm on my shoulder which belonged to Jackson, "he'll be fine. Let's go, I'll drop you home."

...

"So, what movie do you want to watch?" Jack asked.

"I can do this on my own."

"I told you I'm taking off until your case is solved."

"Stop making excuses for your joblessness!"

"Shut up and pick a movie." He said calmly.

"Fine! 5th from the right."

We sat down on the comfy sofa as the movie began. None of us had seen this before and just randomly picked it up from Netflix recommendations. Jackson had made some popcorn that we were currently hogging.