Chapter 1

It's a normal fall day. The leaves are crisp and orange.

Gabriel's P.O.V

--------------------------

The sun shines through a crack in my window and I awaken to the soft chirp of the birds outside. I rub my eyes and get out of bed. Checking my clock I realize it's 7:35 A.M.
Damn it.

I'm up 40 minutes late. I rush to my closet and pull on my school uniform. I brush my hair and straighten out a few of the wavy pieces. I decide to skip breakfast and quickly brush my teeth. I rush to grab my school bag and head out the door.

Fall is my favorite season. The leaves on a tree outside my house has begun to turn to a burnt orange. I notice my best friend has decided to wait for me at my gate.

"Thanks for waiting, Osmar." I say happily.

Osmar grins and ruffles my hair as we walk to the bus stop.

The bus arrives and we somehow make it to school. Osmar stops, and looks over at me.

"What's that face for?" I ask giggling at his seriousness.

"Manny," he says. "Is he..?"

"Oh, haha. It's okay." I interupt.

We walk to our homeroom, where the class smells of homemade facial scrub. Mrs.L greets us, and we take our seats. Half way through daily announcements, the class next door begins to shout and create clashing sounds. Osmar and I laugh at the horrible behavior of Mr.J's class.

As homeroom ends, the hallways become crowded by a flood of 7th and 8th graders. I'm pushed and pulled, until I'm finally out the door. Osmar helps me out of the raging crowd at the door and we continue on to Ms. Petite's room. I feel a tug on my shirt then I'm suddenly jerked backwards. I fall backwards onto the pavement and scrape my hands against the ground. I screech out and turn to look back. Manny stares deeply into my eyes. I feel violated and vulnerable.

"Fagboy." Manny begins.

"This school doesn't want gays, fag."

No please, no.

I feel my eyes water and my throat begins to dry. I stand up and brush myself I realize my shirt has been ripped. I turn to continue on but stumble and fall again. "We hate faggots. Get the hell out!" Jose joins in. All at once I feel my body tense up and then go limp. The tears I was holding back burst out. I broke into tears and once I did I couldn't stop.

I prayed for a miracle. By now, most kids had made it to class and the hallways were clear. I felt hopeless.

"Stop. Now!" Someone bellows.

A vague figure comes up to us.

It's Osmar.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" he screams. My friend picks me up.

"Oh look, fagboy needed this dweeb to save him." Manny strikes.

Osmar punches Manny straight in his nose and he falls to the ground. He clutches his nose as blood begins to trickle out. Osmar pulls me into his arms and holds me as he takes me to class.

"T-Thank you." I stutter.

"I love you."

"W-What?" I ask stunned.

"Gabe, I love you." Osmar repeats.

He pulls me into a hug and I bury my face in his chest. I stifle a cry and we finally make it to class.