Chapter 3

20th March 2046

Sergeant O’Connell, E.T.A.R

Earth

It raised its claw, ready to slash my head off. I closed my eyes, praying for a miracle to happen. I also thought about my wish, my wish for me to get out of this mess as soon as possible.

You see, I never had a part in this E.T.A.R thing. That day, I was going to my friend’s house. Then, I stumbled upon this huge building that towered above me. I stared in awe as I walked into the building. The person at the front desk, upon seeing me, jumped up from her seat. At that time, I thought what was going on. It was like they were waiting for my arrival. But it turns out that in the end, members of E.T.A.R thought I was someone else. By then, I was one of the top rankers in the whole of E.T.A.R which explains why I am still working.

As my mind returned to the current situation I was in, I stopped struggling and gave up. Suddenly, I heard a gunshot, and the Foot Soldier slumped onto me. I opened my eyes, to see the head of the Foot Soldier being shot apart, and green blood oozing out from the head. It was one of the Privates on the team. 

“Sir, are you alright?” He asked. I nodded in response.

“Sir, reinforcements are coming in about 5 minutes.” He told me.

I nodded my head in response yet again. I picked myself up, and got myself together.

“Let’s go guys! 5 minutes! Kill those aliens and end this thing!” I screamed through my earpiece.

“OORAH” the team screamed in unison in response.

I pulled out my M1A4 assault rifle and started gunning down each and every Foot Soldier that I saw. One by one, they dropped to the ground. I hid back into cover and reloaded my weapon.

Then, my earpiece crackled. “Last mag!” one of my members said through the earpiece.

I swore silently in my head, as I pulled a magazine from my back pocket and threw it over to him. As the bullets dropped to the ground, more and more enemies were dropped off, ready to kill the representative. Slowly, we were pushed back. Then, I bumped into a solid, warm object. As I glanced over my shoulder, still concentrating on the enemies, I noticed that the whole team was together with me, backs against each other. One by one, our rifles stopped firing, until a point where we all stopped firing. We were out on ammunition and outmanned. 

“When are the damn reinforcements coming?” I screamed into my earpiece.

As each of the Foot Soldiers got ready to pounce on us, bullets starting piercing each and every of the enemy, killing them in the process. Our pilots of the air then flew past us, leaving us in a midst of dust.

“Surprise surprise. Just in time I guess?” one of the pilots chuckled through the earpiece.

“About time.” I spat in disgust.

“All enemy forces have been eliminated by the reinforcements. Congratulations Dark Seekers, you have done well.” the in-charge of the operation who is currently unknown to us, I don’t know why, spoke through the microphone.

“Team, move out and strap into any helicopter. We’re leaving now.” I ordered.

I jumped into one helicopter myself and strapped in. As the rotating blades of the helicopter moved faster, I stared off into the distance, thinking about the whole battle. I coughed as the helicopter left off in a cloud of dust.