And On The Seventh Day He Sat Back And Let The World End

I remember a line spoken many years ago. "The woods would be silent if no birds sang." His words were a prophecy.

People, plants, animals, even the insects (which, admittedly, I don't miss) had vanished.

I eventually managed to calm myself, and contemplate everything I knew.

One, the human race was gone.

Two, I was possibly the only one left.

Three, the plants and animals, as well as the whole of civilization, disappeared as well.

And as it turned out, everything looked to be much, much worse when I contemplated it all.

And soon enough, I started brainstorming. What was the best way to know exactly what happened at a particular time in just about any place in the world?

Security footage.

I started with my school. I went into the office where all of the security monitors were. There were numerous monitors there. You could see every inch of the entire building, and all it took was a slightly different angle at which your vision was aimed.

I had to hack my way into the footage, which was rather simple for me. I've always had a knack for tampering with technology, which had finally become a useful asset. Of course, if hacking into the school system to tweak my grades a bit is considered useful, then it's been so since seventh grade.

I viewed the footage from six AM that morning. Everything looked normal at that time, so I continued watching the footage, speeding everything up so it wouldn't take too long.

As I viewed the footage, I began to feel stultified, though still more on edge than I ever deemed possible. I began to ponder about the innumerable questions still jumping across my mind. How did this happen? Why did this happen? Why did I survive?

Survive. My own word choice triggered a whole new array of questions.

Is everyone dead?

Is there any life left?

What will happen in the days to come?

Many unanswerable questions came to mind, none of them considered good. Until one question in particular popped in my head, and everything came to a standstill.

How can I breathe?

I knew that trees provided oxygen, that was child's play. They took in carbon dioxide, and they, in return, gave off oxygen. And it got me thinking.

If the trees are gone, how can I still breathe?

That epiphany caused the gears in my brain to kickstart, spinning slowly at first, trying to process it, but eventually picked up speed.

Perhaps whatever did this wants me alive.

Perhaps whatever did this needs me alive.

Why would they need me alive?

Am I important?

Am I special?

Am I destined to defeat whatever could've caused this?

I dismissed the theory as quickly as I concocted it. I'm nothing special. I'm not important. And if there's one thing I know for certain; there is no such thing as destiny.

There is no destiny. There is no fate. While a prophecy may ring with truth, with fact, there is no conceivable way that everything is meant to happen, because of some greater power. Nothing is truly foretold. It is merely predicted based on logistics, facts, practicality.