Mother

It was dark out.. windy… so windy you can hear it pushing against the house. 

I tiptoed up the creaky black stairs that held many dark secrets. I walked past multiple rooms that were pitch black inside, my mind wandered and played scenes that terrified me. A tall dark creature coming out of the dark and grabs me by my ankles pulling me into the drowning darkness that surrounds my fearful body as it bellows a loud and eerie sound. Or, every light in the house breaks making a smashing sound as it turns off, and I feel a cold hand wrap its long fingers on my shoulder, which then jolts me back. 

I eventually shake my head and continue my way to my room, at the end of the hall. Almost an eternity of me unbearably shaking as I try to walk to the entrance of my room, I reach out my hand to grasp on the handle but stop. 

“Shhh… stop your crying my dear you're alright.” 

My hand that’s holding the handle starts shaking, I place my other hand on my shaking hand and force myself to open the door. As the door creaks open I close my eyes wrapping my arms around myself feeling a sharp stinging coldness coming from the room.

When I open my eyes nothing but the darkness awaits me to come in. I look around and slowly walk in, I keep walking until I bump into a tall lamp that towers over me. I go on my tiptoes and reach for the skinny little switch that turns on the lamp. 

After stretching and almost falling over multiple times I’m able to wrap my pointer finger and my thumb on it. I switch it on and the light bulb flashes then turns off making a snap sound. I fall back hitting the back of my head on the hard wooden ground. The lightbulb broke and wasn’t working, 

“Oh come on!” I yell to myself suddenly hearing a sweet little song playing.

It was a music box.

“Oh wow,” was all that escaped my lips. 

The beautiful sound almost felt as if it was putting a spell on me. I walked towards it, seeing the only light on it was the brightness of the moon. I examined it closely seeing a little girl on her knees; she was praying. As the song played she slowly was going in circles, when the song stopped she stopped. When she stopped she was staring right at me, I was taken aback unsure what to think. I looked around realizing I was on my knees and my hands were put together like the little girl. I stood up swiftly and looked around confused about what just happened. An image of my mom came but quickly went. 

She always prayed. 

“Mom,” I whispered seeing my own breath appear in front of my face telling me it’s freezing in there. 

But I couldn’t feel anything at least not the temperature, I realized I couldn’t feel anything after I hit my head.

I walk out of the room breathing hard scared and nervous. I clutch my hand on my chest feeling my fast heartbeat and opened a door hoping it’s the bathroom. When I open it, a bright light blinds me as I walked in, I lift my hand to cover my eyes until it isn’t bright anymore. And there, I stand. Standing over where her lifeless body lay, 

It becomes dark all around me except for one light that shines above her. I put my hand on hers feeling her cold hands, I look up from her body, feeling her always around me, and am transported and am staring straight ahead seeing a mirror in the bathroom. It reflects me, As well as reflecting my mother standing behind me, in her black funeral gown.