act twenty-two { the past, serenity and serena }

"Are you not wearing your mask, Serenity?"

The Silver Millennium on the Moon Kingdom was an enchanting time. A dynasty of grandeur, power, and shows of advancements beyond any thought. 

"Serenity." The voice broke the princess from her thoughts. Twirling between her fingers was a lilac mask laced with ribbons and crystals. Tucked away in her room, her back was faced to the door where the queen stood, again asking for her presence. At the last call did the princess raise her head. She spoke almost under her breath, whispered, but loud for the queen to hear. 

"I will mother. I need time to...to gather my thoughts."

Queen Serenity wordlessly entered the room and rested a hand on her eldest daughter's shoulder. The sound of the door shutting behind Princess Serenity alerted her to being alone again. A heavy sigh past her lips when she relaxed at her vanity, cupping her chin in her palm. 

"With the attendance so high tonight, there is no doubt in my soul mother will find me a suitor." The princess, in her long centuries of life, knew the ulterior motives of her queen mother. She would rule in her place lightyears from now and what the people of the kingdom expected was another queen with a means of lasting her legacy. Serenity had waited out most the ball hidden in her room. 

The guests far below anticipated the heir's arrival while they dined on wine. Her sister disappeared hours ago between the arms of the Sailor Guardians, who were dressed in gowns from their planets. 

Waiting was the princess' goal. For something. For someone. Waiting out until guests grew bored was Serenity's original plan, but no one in the Universe would dare miss an event held on the Moon Kingdom. The fact this was a grand ball meant guests from far away planets and systems spent fortunes for their trip and would use every means to soak the whole experience in. Another sigh left the princess' lips. Boredom would have been the death of her if a red rose hadn't stabbed the soft carpet near her feet. 

A smile quickly grew on her face as she raced to her balcony. Stood under her tree was a man dressed in black armour, a sword and another rose in-hand. 

"Endymion, you're here!"

The prince of the Earth Kingdom stood watch for his princess. This was the ultimate reward for the princess' wait. In the privacy of a great tree built under Serenity's room, Endymion gathered his love in her arms, embraced her tighter than any other, and kissed her deeper than before. Scandal would have rocked the ball if even one eye was to fall on this union. 

"It has been too long since we have seen each other last." Serenity held a hand to Endymion's cheek at his words. His eyes never left hers when he took her other hand. 

"There have been too many nights where I've walked the Moon, wishing you by my side. Days and nights pass without you here." 

The Moon and Earth were to exist aside one another, in partnership of life and lasting, but never to converge. As the latter's only moon, the kingdom was to watch Earth's evolution and ensure no bad influence would corrupt the population. The Moon too, however, was to not interfere with the people of Earth and their lives. Laws forbade them from touching or ever meeting. 

Through all this, although, bloomed a romance between the two heirs of the kingdom. Where the Moon was known for its advancements beyond any others--the Eternity Main System was a dome around the planet that produced artificial sunlight and weather patterns at a wish, Earth felt the sun's real touch. It was on a state visit when Prince Endymion introduced Princess Serenity to true warmth. 

The kiss of the sun and Endymion could never be replicated. 

The love between prince and princess blossomed in secret. Under guises of state visits, under the dark clouds of their artificial weather, or during busy holidays that called all the kingdoms attentions, Serenity and Endymion bound themselves in peace. They were each other's escape from their real lives and the responsibilities they would bear in the future.