Chapter 9

Alice raced back to Forks as quickly as she could. She couldn't see Bella. She couldn't see anything past her arriving on the La Push reservation, driven by an overwhelming feeling that something was wrong, that Charlotte was in grave danger. Alice supposed that she had, in fact, been in grave danger, but there wasn't much to be done about it now. Charlotte was one of them now. Or at the very least Charlotte wasn't as human as she once was. But was she ever fully human to begin with? Carlisle had a theory about the Swan family, and a theory about hunters as well.

No ordinary humans can learn to properly hunt and kill vampires that quickly and successfully, though not for lack of trying. The humans try, and can't quite manage it, but pass the knowledge down to their children in the hopes that they can do what their parents could not. As time goes on, these families adapt to a lifestyle of vampire hunting, they gain skills previous generations lacked.

The newer hunters develop the ability to pick up skills quicker, they don't give off a scent, they can see well in the darkness, and they can generally tell when something bad is about to happen. He also had a theory that these hunters can't be turned; at least, not fully. It's the biggest fuck you a hunter could ever give. To be bitten and not turn, to be bitten and only get the benefits of vampire life without any of the pitfalls.

Carlisle believes that the Swan family are part of the longest running line of vampire hunters, a family that dates back centuries.

Alice agreed.

But right now, Alice needed to make sure that Bella was okay.