• the extinct hybrid | chapter three

— the devil has arrived —

____________________________________

Rowan Noel

I woke up to the sound of my alarm going off, groaning I turned it off. Pulling the sheets back over my head.

"Just five more minutes and I'll get up," I mumbled. I ended up falling asleep for twenty extra minutes until Riley jumped on my bed. I jolted up confused about what happened.

"Riley, you can't scare me like that!!" I told her while reaching for my phone. I decided it would be better to skip school today.

Today is the day my foster dad returned home. He had a business trip for a week. I was put into foster care after my parents died I didn't have any relatives to go to. Well, the few that I did have wanted nothing to do with me. After I met my him, William, he practically turned me into his maid. I think that's the only reason why he got me in the first place.

Whenever I didn't do something to his satisfaction or he simply was bored or mad, he'd hit me. In the beginning, it started with a small slap but it progressively got worse. I tried to fight back once... but that didn't turn out well. That day I had another life on my hands.

I still want to fight William anytime he tried to hit me but for every hit, smart remark or argument he would add two more hits, burns or kicks.

Oh, and did I forget to mention that I've been to the police? William is a very rich man and because of that, he knows a lot of people. He practically has the whole police force on his side.

I groaned and threw my legs to the side of the bed, getting up. I was dreading today so much, life has been easier without him. But 'luckily' for me, he was back. Cue the sarcasm.

-

I had music playing in my headphones as I danced around and cleaned. I finished vacuuming the living room and upstairs. Walking to the kitchen I started to wipe down the countertops.

Cleaning for me was more on the relaxing side, despite other people I enjoyed it. I finished the counters and went to grab me a drink.

"Crap... there isn't anything in the fridge," I muttered. Looks like I needed to make a trip to the grocery store before William got home.

I finished up cleaning and threw on some black leggings and a black hoodie that said 'hell was boring' in red. "I'll be back Riley," I say while throwing the hoodie over my head.

-

As I walked down the street I hummed to some music that was playing in my headphones. I was listening to the song 'why did you leave us' by NF. He was one of my favorite artists due to his meaningful lyrics.

I went to the same store where I had first met Lucas. I grabbed a small shopping cart and went down the aisles grabbing various things for dinner. Even though William was an abusive guardian, he still provided me with money to buy groceries and for clothes. To him, the only reason why he provides me money is to cover the fact that I get abused regularly.